DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone.

One of the reasons I wanted a doodle was 'cause I like shaggy dogs. The groomers always cut her too short, so I always find myself waiting for her hair to grow out, then when it does it's time for another grooming. dle, about 21 lbs.

So I decided to try grooming her myself, then I can keep her hair long and trim it a little bit every few weeks to keep the "look." I've been doing her face and head for a few months and I'm happy with the results and the compliments she gets from strangers.

From reading recommendations here and elsewhere, I bought the Andis Pro Clip UltraEdge clipper, and a set of Wahl stainless steel combs.  The Andis clipper comes with a #10 blade. 

Gracie is a mini Australian Labradoodle with wavy hair. She's (thankfully) past the puppy/adult change. I comb or brush some of her every day, so she's mat-free and (until she moves again) tangle-free.  The hair on her back (coarser and straighter than the hair on her legs and chest) is now about 4" long.  I'd like to cut off about an inch or so. Can anyone give me advice on which comb/blade combination will give me the desired result? I don't want to give her a "summer cut." Once I start with the clippers on her back, I'll have to keep going and be stuck with whatever length results ....

Thank you, in advance, for any guidance.

Views: 874

Replies to This Discussion

Yes...Doodles hate it too!!!  lol

I researched the Kim Laube Mammoth combs a few years ago and ended up ordering them.  What a waste of money!!  They would not fit my Andis clippers nor my old Oster clippers.  They are flimsy and cheap feeling.  The catch with their products is that you need to invest in the entire package including "their" clippers.  Even then, I am wondering how good they are.  I hate cheap products (their price is not cheap though!).  I love my Andis clippers and my comb attachments are good quality.  You can call the Laube people and have a discussion with them.  I did and the person I talked to didn't even know her product well.  I also was not happy with the turn around responses with the phone and delivery.  Things may have improved over the years though wouldn't you think we would hear more about them if so???  

I wonder whether it will fit now or not. This was part of the description listed with mammoth combs:

COMB FEATURES:
***Now accepts most regular snap on style blades & clippers of your choice****

One comb was $18 plus shipping.

Wow, it is possible that they decided there was a demand for their comb outside of using their clippers.  At $18 it won't be much of a loss if it doesn't work.  Certainly worth the try!  Good catch Leslie!

Okay...I am a sucker for trying new things that "should" save time and make grooming easier.  I just ordered the 1.5 comb from Laube.  I never let Gracie get any longer than 2" because we live in a warmer climate year round and she loves the water!!

So, do you think they've changed the Mammoth combs since you last ordered them? I know with the regular length Laube attachment combs, they didn't fit over certain blades. If I remember correctly, they wouldn't fit over a 30 blade. Worked fine with a 50 blade though, which was the blade my prof. groomer suggested I use with Laube combs. I hope you didn't just waste your money! Good luck!

FYI, the 30 blade I used that the Laube combs didn't fit over was a Wahl brand. The 50 blade they DID fit over was an Andis Ceramicedge. Rather than the blade number, maybe it was the brand that made a difference. If you have a problem getting the comb to fit, try a different blade/brand of blade. 

Debb, good to know. I have the andis 30 ceramic edge one. I think I'll order one.

Nancie, what did you think of the 1.5" comb from Laube? Have you tried it yet?

Sorry, I haven't tried it yet because the grooming before I received it was too short to use it.  I have to wait to get her longer but with the summer I really don't want her to get any longer.  I like to keep her at no more than 1 inch so I think it will be a while until I actually try it.

I have my doodles scissor cut rather than clippers.

Okay, I'm reading this thread and planning to take my dog her her second groom. I"m pretty ignorant about this whole thing.

They did a good job overall for her first groom, but way too short. I really didn't tell them anything except that I wanted her to look like a doodle and not a poodle. And I was more concerned with her behavior and stress level of being left there than the cut.

That was almost 2 months ago and I just now like the length but it needs a good cleanup.

If they use clippers at a professional grooming place am I destined for a shorter cut? Are professional groomers able to clip a dog at a longer length without having to resort to hand scissoring which might cost more? I will definitely ask them but it would be good to know before I talk to them what is normal.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service