DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi All!!  So I have one of the doodles that falls in the "sheds like a you know what" catagory!  She is an F1 goldendoodle has shed since she was about 6 months old and she is now 13 months.My groomer told me that blowing her out with the doggie hair dryer really gets a ton of the hair out - even more so than brushing.  Hunter doesn't mind the dryer at all and I was wondering if anyone has a doggie dryer that they would recommend and where they got it..........

Views: 549

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Denise,
I have a regular human blow dryer that has a "cool air" setting. Some of the better brands are sold at Sally's Beauty Supply and are much easier to control the heat settings.
P.S. Went to Turkeyfoot last night :) So good to be back outside.
I use the "Crazy Dog" brand dryer. It is similar to the people type but quieter. It does, however, seem not as strong as my hair dryer but it comes with a small stand and does the job.
I use a normal human hairdryer as well. It works really well. It has three heat settings and is easy to maneuver. I think some dogs may be more frightened of the grooming ones, because they are really loud and have a ton of air pressure.
The blower your groomer is talking about is probably the high volume forced air blower without heat. This is what cleans and literally combs the dog. Heat dryers have a lower volume of air and a lot of heat. You use them while brushing a wet dog. That gets the frizzes going on most doodles.
I blow my dogs out first, before I do any other grooming, including brushing. After bathing, I blow the water out of their coats and let them dry naturally from there to prevent that frizzy look. My dogs that naturally go into dreadlocks are highly benefited from this procedure. I am careful to blow their coat when wet in the direction of growth and this spins their coat into the dreads. Dreads really help prevent matting.
I use this one. http://www.drieaz-pets.com/PetDriDog.html
Geesh-- I would have never known there was a blow dryer just for dogs. You can tell by looking at my grooming I am clueless.

Has anyone thanked Barb lately? I know I do everyday.
As Joanne has reminded us, we owe you a debt of gratitude for all the time you put in offering very, very helpful advice. Thank you!
Thank you Barb! This is more of what I was looking for - I wanted the more forced air than the actual heat from a regular blow dryer. Hunter has the tendancy to get dry skin so I try to avoid the heat. She has a crazy coat - it goes in all different directions and fortunately never mats, except for the small occasional mat under her front legs. She is also a huge swimmer and I love the idea that I can take this camping with me and be able to blow out the water...... I am on the hunt for one now!! THANKS!
how do you blow 'in the direction of growth'? Does this mean from skin upward (as hair grows)? or from the hair on the back downward towards legs, etc? tks
Here is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-CM-3-4-0-Peak-Cagemaster/dp/B000...

I bought this one because it has the cage attachment for when I don't have time to stand and blow the water out of his fur. There are cheaper HV dryers around $100 that will work fine though. If you plan on grooming your goldendoodle yourself you will need a HV dryer. Also, always be sure to put cotton balls in their ears if you plan to use one.
Thank you for the advice about the cotton balls! I didn't know that! I wouldn't use a cage attachment since I don't have a cage! LOL I am going to check this one out - is it more forced air or heat? Hunter gets dry skin so I was looking for more of a blower type......
Denise -- I've had a problem with Sophie itching really badly after bathing for several days. I'd find just clumps of her all over the house and she would scratch and scratch. I switched to a medicated shampoo, and have started her on the EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) and last bath I had no itching and no clumps of her all over the place. Think the EPO is a big part of it.
How do you give her the EPO? I am intrigued - Hunter is eternally itchy! Poor baby.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service