DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It's not a full groom as the LAST time he went to the groomer they cut his body and legs way too short. So I haven't had to do his body or legs yet, but I did flag his tail and I cleaned up his head. They skipped his ears and tail last time (and did a poor job the prior time.) They were both really long, like 4". Ever since that last time at the groomer I have been reading this forum, researching and deciding on my tools. My supplies arrived yesterday so I did the work over 2 days. He had his bath yesterday and I used the high velocity dryer on him but I let his head air dry because he's not into the blower for that yet. He is 1 year old and otherwise a super co-operative dood so I'm not going to push it. I trimmed up his tail last night and fixed up his head this morning. His ears were hanging so long and low that my husband had been singing that song to him "Do your ears hang low.."

I took a LOT off his ears and the sides of his muzzle. The pile of hair filled my hand open as wide as I could hold it. The groomers had not been clipping the hair under his ears short at all so I took a lot out of there too. I like his ears getting plenty of air flow.

My husband says he looks like a puppy again!

Views: 493

Replies to This Discussion

I think you've done a fantastic job!!  Just think of the $$$$ you've saved.  Mine need it again too but we have to find out where Parker is getting his feet so muddy first.  He cannot get out of the back yard and we've walked over it and over it again.  Stupified!!  I think I should bring him to YOU to groom.  LOL  ♥ 

He looks great! I'm still in the pre-puppy stages, but am trying to gather all the info I can. What tools did you end up deciding on? Was there a specific thread/resource you found most helpful? Any tips?

I don't recall the specific threads, but this is what I have so far.

thinning shears

bear-1 blower

42" grooming table

best shot conditioner

puppy shampoo

slicker brush

metal comb

andis 2 speed clipper

set of large andis comb attachments

I still need a pair of straight shears but my mom has a few pairs of shears for me, she'll bring them next time she visits. For now I will continue to use my fabric shears. Probably goes against some kind of rule, but I'll use what I have because there are better ones coming and I've spent a small fortune already.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I hadn't considered a grooming table, but this is the second thread today to mention one. 

It's definitely a good thing to have. I highly recommend it, even if only for regular brushing/combing which they certainly need.

In my opinion, a grooming table is a necessity, especially if you blow dry and clipper cut your doodle. Its great for all sorts of things in between, too, like brush/comb outs. It may be from all the previous times they went to a professional groomer, and were put on a grooming table, but once they're up on one they seem to know its time for mom to get down to the business at hand.

He looks fantastic! Great job!

*leans over and whispers* ... don't tell anyone, but I've been known to ... *looks around furtively before continuing* ... snip off stray bits over their eyes with the kitchen scissors ...

I have all the 'tools' and have been guilty of this, too, when I'm too lazy to walk upstairs and down the hall to the 'grooming room' for the shears (don't tell anyone!)...lol.

I've never used kitchen scissors, but my craft/fabric scissors may or may not have contributed to a few trims...

I admit, since I have not bought any good grooming things I have been cleaning Cally up with Kitchen scissors since she came home on Saturday from the groomers!
Do you use plastic comb attachments? I have heard it depends on the coat type if the plastic ones or metal ones are needed.

Funny (meaning, ironic) story about comb attachments... When I started home grooming my professional groomer gave me tips and told me the brand of comb attachments she uses on my doods, Laube plastic ones. I went out and purchased all the sizes she specified, and on my first try with those combs, I HATED the results! I got much nicer results with the Wahl stainless steel combs. It just goes to show that your results with whatever tools you use have a lot to do with individual technique. My professional groomer actually got better results with plastic combs than I did with stainless steel.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service