DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Zoë has had two baths in the last month.  I think we would prefer to stay on this schedule as she gets dirty and smelly between the mud, romps with other puppies and dog day care.  I've read some people bathe their doodles rather infrequently, while others do it very often.  For those who bathe once every two weeks or even more frequently, what products to you use?  I don't want to dry her skin out, but would love to keep her clean and smelling good.

Thanks!

Views: 303

Replies to This Discussion

I make my own using this recipe

Strawberry Cream Shampoo for Dogs
1 1/2 cup organic raw honey
1 cup organic apple cider
1 cup organic coconut milk
1 cup organic strawberries
2 tbs baking soda
1 raw egg

I don't use organic because I can't always find it or it's super expensive but those are the ingredients I use. 

It doesn't lather up super well but it does get him clean, makes his coat soft, and he smells great. 

It lasts for several shampoos and I keep it in the fridge. 

I normally end up bathing Max weekly, because he's always romping in something, and he goes to doggy daycare a couple times a week, so he just gets dirty/stinky fast. 

We have to bathe M.J. every two weeks and sometimes even more often, especially in the spring/summer because she gets itchy after playing in grass, etc.

We use Aroma Paws (we use Lavender & Chamomile) and have found it to work just wonderfully, especially because the scent lingers for quite a while and like you said they can get pretty dirty and smelly quite quickly.

We buy it through Amazon or through our vet but you can check them out at the site below as well. :)

Aroma Paws

I also use Aroma Paws for Tara who has very sensitive skin and will break out in hives from many shampoos. I use the "Sensitive Skin Formula" which is chemical and fragrance free. It is a combined shampoo and conditioner which is nice too.

Thank you all for the quick and insightful responses.  I think we will have to give Aroma Paws a shot.

Funny to read this just now. My little Miss Ivy just had her third bath in one month and three days. She is 4 months and three days old. I have been using Vitamin enriched Moisturizing Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner with added vitamins and minerals and fatty acids for a healthy skin and coat. It does not seem to be drying out her skin as I have not seen her scratching at all .

Thanks, Yvonne.  Do you have a link or a name of the product you are using?

Hi Paul

I can tell you what the bottle reads:

Distributed by

General Nutrition Corporation (GNC)

I purchase it a Pet Smart. I'm in Canada, not sure if you have Pet Smart in the States.

You can find on line or on Facebook

PETSMART.COM.  or

GNC Live Well and PetSmart on Facebook

Tropiclean Kava. Their products are soap free and I am in love with this shampoo!

I use Organic Oscar and the Cloudstar grooming line!
I use an oatmeal moisturizing shampoo and an oatmeal baking soda conditioner that I get at Petsmart. My dogs get bathed once a week. I have allergies and we are outside a lot. They pick up lots of stuff on their coats and when my eyes start itching, the dogs get a bath! So far no problems with dry skin!

Hi-

Abe has fine hair, and gets a bath at least twice a month (more often if he finds a mud puddle at the dog park) We used to use dog shampoos, but once he got his adult coat we started using suave kids shampoo and conditioner and that worked very well and was cost effective. Later we moved onto adult products and we are using whatever is reasonable priced at Costco. I think effective rinsing is actually more important than type of shampoo used. It takes forever to rinse our pup, every other bath I put a little apple cider vinegar in his first pass of rinse water. So far, he has good hair and his skin has never shown signs of being bothered. 

We bath our Zoe every 2-3 weeks.  We've been using Burts Bees Puppy shampoo and Tropiclean detanlger.  Her coat is lovely after using both of these and her skin is soft as well.  Also the Tropiclean detanlger smells really good!  Since we let her on the couch and our bed, we like to keep her clean.  We often clean her under area and paws (she loves digging in the mud!) much more frequently - every couple of days or so.  I know other breeds it's recommended to not bath frequently - but for non-shedders, I think it's OK, even necessary.

The Burts Bees shampoo costs about 9 bucks for 16 oz, and it lasts us a good 20 bathings.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service