DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm in the process of house hunting and one of the challenges I've found is getting a house that has a tub or shower that is ideal for bathing doodles. A lot of newer or renovated houses now a days have soaker tubs, which are imposible to lift 72lbs dogs in and out of, let alone the maneuvering to get them clean. If I were to bath the doodles in a soaker tub, I'd need spend a good 30 minutes in there after them just to sooth my back muscles. Can anyone say Robaxacet?

Then there are the stand up showers that are usually in a corner, which are impossible to fit a doodle and a human in. I've seen stand up showers that are the rectangular space of a tub, but without the tub, just glass shower doors, this is better, but it still means that I have some awkward maneuvering to do to get in there with the doodles, unless I remove the glass doors, but then I'm sure there'd be a big mess to clean up.

So in the end I gave up on finding this in a house and resolved that whatever house I chose I will need to install somesort of showering/bathing facility for the doodles. Now that I've found the perfect house, just waiting to see if they accept my counter offer, I need to know what kind of a tub/shower would be ideal to install in the basement (and hopefully not too expensive). The drainage is all there, and there's plenty of space, so it is all possible (pending the home inspectors approval anyway).

So let me have it. What would be your ideal doodle tub/shower?

Views: 727

Replies to This Discussion

This is mine, a full-sized bathtub on a platform raising it up to the perfect height for me to stand at while washing the boys. The tub was free (contractor was doing a bathroom remodel elsewhere) but used tubs can be picked up pretty cheap. I still have to lift the boys and will eventually build a ramp or stairs for them but at least I don't have to bend over to get them clean, which would kill my back.

Very clever Jen!

What a great idea!

This is great! I've been begging DH to figure something out because we have a double sided utility sink down there VERY old steel I believe. Anyway Chloe doesn't fit anymore and he doesn't let me wash them in the regular tub!?!?!?!?

It's really hard to find a long sink with no divider that is sturdy. Pet edge has a couple commercial ones that aren't THAT expensive but haven't got the ok on that yet....

Good luck Sherri!

jen, this is amazing! and super low cost too.

The problem with the raised tubs for me though is that big ol' Winston is afraid of the tub. He refuses to go in on his own. I've worked with him so now I can get him in the bathroom on his own, but after that I still have to lift him in and out of the tub. He weighs about 72lbs on a skinny day so it's not easy.

I've tried using food, toys, and different ways of making the bottom of hte tub less slippery but it doesn't seem to make a difference. So yea, I love the raised tub idea, but I'm thinking something at floor level, where I can walk in there with him, maybe bring in a stool to sit on, might work better overall.

Do they make tubs that raise and lower, like the grooming table?

Sherri -- If this is going to be in the basement, maybe all you really need is the water faucets on the wall and a drain in the floor.  Since the floor is concrete it would just run into the drain and then he wouldn't be afraid of the tub aspect of it.  We actually have a regular dog tub made for big dogs, but it is raised.  I use the grooming table that raises up and down to put the doodles into the tub.  It has a raised platform in it to keep their feet out of the suds and water for ease of bathing.  

To answer your question though I do believe I remember seeing a tub that raises and lowers like the grooming table, but it isn't going to be cheap. 

Here is our set up with the table up so Lucy can hop off into the tub, then I just push it out of the way until we are finished and pull it back over for her to hop out of the tub.  They do make steps, but I didn't figure my girls would use them so I didn't buy them.

Love the lift.  What a great idea.

In the summer time I wash Gavin outside.  I can attach my hose to the faucet in the laundry room sink and run the hose out the window to get warm water.  In the winter I take Gavin to the dog wash (contained at the self-serve car wash).  For about $7 it is quick, easy and I can leave all of the mess there.

I like the idea of the raised bath!

I have a standard bathtub that's raised. I put mine quite high for my back and I can easily reach feet. I have a 9 inch step I pull out from underneath to get higher when I am doing a tall head. That way I don't get water dripping down my arms.

But, I know a groomer who has this tub and it works well.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming/Grooming-Equipment/Tubs/Paw...

good point about the step and water dripping down arms. The tub in that link looks interesting, but it doesn't look like it's big enough for Winston, or sturdy enough...

The one I was looking at said it held 175 lbs but could support more. Not sure if they come in different sizes.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service