DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Ok, as title says I am crate training though I am not sure who is been trained him or me!

At night I let him out and he toilets then he is put in bed in his crate. Bedtime is a movable feast this week as I have been in bed any time between 830pm and 1030pm. So tonight, I toileted him before bed at 1030 and then crated him in my bedroom.

He whined at 0003hrs, I let him out to toilet, praised him then when he went said nothing else but bed, and put him into his crate. He whined again at 104am and 343am. I did above, then got back into bed and went asleep. At 343 I put him back into his crate but he wanted to play, I just said  bed go to sleep, and went back to my own about 4 am he was wanting out. I reckon to play, so I ignored it at first, but he persisted so I then let him out said toilet and brought him out, he didnt go just picked up a stone and ran onto stairs.Stone retrieved Teidi brought back to bed in his crate. He has settles now its 415am.

He will probably go again around 530 6am.

Am I doing this right?

Views: 429

Replies to This Discussion

That sounds about right. Does he have a cover over his crate, Is there to much stuff in his crate, toys, bedding, towel he could be to warm. Try putting a small fan in the room near his crate for some white noise soif he does wake up but doesnt have to go it not just dead silence and may go back to sleep.

That sounds rough. I may have been extra spoiled bc my breeder started crate training at 5wks before my pup came home to me. I think the only big thing I would add is no food/drink/treats about 2h before bed! Whatever puppy eats/drinks, he'll have to poop/pee!

That sounds about right to me too. Sounds like you're taking him out about every 1.5 - 2 hours, right? How old is he?

I got my puppy at 7 weeks and the first 2 weeks were tough. We were going potty a lot, like you, and there were times he'd whine/bark and I'd take him It out and he didn't need to go- that was annoying! Especially when you're sleep deprived. He usually didn't want to play though, he wanted to cuddle and sleep in my lap.

He eventually started going for 3 hours, then 4, then 5 hour stretches at night. He's now 13 weeks old and his last potty break is around 9 or 10pm and he sleeps until 5am. You will get there. 

Hang in there, it will get better! Just doesn't seem like it while you're in it ;)

We got our puppy at 9 weeks and the first couple of nights were rough.  Sadie hated being put in her crate the first night and cried and cried and so we took her out and put her on her dog bed beside our bed (but then we found she got up and started wandering around our room in the night).  After that first night we put her back in her crate and she cried at the beginning but my husband dangled his hand off the bed and put his fingers just inside the crate door grate so that she could tell that we were still there right beside her.  Another couple nights of that and she was great and wouldn't cry at all when we put her in her crate.  The only time she starts to whine is if she needs to go out to pee in the night, but now at 11.5 weeks old, she can sleep 7-8 hours without needing to go out to pee :)

You have given ME  hope as well!  Griffin is doing okay... at night but I am so stinking tired lol!

ME TOO!!!

yeah... sounds rough... 

Luna didn't like the crate at first.. she woke up like 2 - 3 times at night to pee. Once I cozy-ed up her crate with a fluffy bed and toys i noticed she liked it more. 
I put a towel with my scent on it and it made it much better.

Also, i got her an antler and soak it in chicken broth... she LOVES it and chews herself to sleep LOL

Now at 11 weeks she is sleeping through the night!

Good luck   

Wow...I feel lucky right now!    My pup is almost 11 weeks old, and he's stayed in his crate all night long without whining to "go potty" all but one night!  I usually crate him between 9 and 10 and he usually stays in there until between 6:30 and 7:30 in the morning.  One night he asked to go out 2 times, but I think he had a tummy ache by his "potty" experience.  One other time he needed to go out at 4 am.  He has not had an accident in his crate at all over the 2.5 weeks I've had him either. 

Salvador, my pup, does have a hard time going back into the crate.  He does want to play all the time!

We are in the same boat and I figure it will last a few weeks since he's got a little bladder! I'm glad he's waking us up though!!!  I started the first night and was up probably three times that night.  The next night my hubby got up since I had to work the next morning, but he felt bad that he was crying after being put back into his bed that he let him stay out and play with him most of the night!!!! SO needless to say I've taken back over for the rest of the week and Rigby would cry after putting him back in for a few minutes and keep us up longer.  I am so sleep deprived this week!!! Ugh!  SO last night I decided, after seeing something on here, that I would put him in a crate in our room and see if it helps the crying.  IT WORKED!!!!   He was so good.  He just wanted to know someone was in the room with him!  So instead of crying for like 5 minutes, he just whines a few times and goes back to sleep!  He was downstairs alone with a blanket over the crate and music on.  Still wakes up three times and goes out to pee, but he is so much better.  So if anyone has the same issue, try putting him next to your bed in the crate.  He'll learn he won't have to cry so much or so loud.  Hopefully he will sleep through the night soon!

We have Griffin crated at the foot of our bed (on the floor of course lol) and I think that has made all the difference. During the day/evening he absolutely has to be in whatever room we're in. If he's sound asleep and I go to another room, he's sleeping in that room with me within a few mintues!

I remember the night Sadie slept through. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I also limit the water she drinks after 8pm. She drinks a lot of water during the day anyway.Glad your nitetime life is settling down. I did end up putting Sadie out of the bedroom because as soon as the sun came up she started whining. She still whimpers at times, but settles down until I get up at 8a. 

Our girl did the same. She was constantly wanting out through the night. A trainer told me to not let her out until she stopped whining for about 5-10 seconds. That way she will not whine and bark forever. After doing that a few nights, she would bark very softly about twice, I would let her out, praise her when she did her business, then put her back in the crate without speaking to her. If I even gave her a pet, she would think it was play time. Also, Try taking his water away earlier in the evening, too. Maybe he's drinking too much before bed and he's needing to go out all through the night. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service