DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello,

We recently discovered that our 4 1/2 month old male Goldendoodle, Bailey, has a UTI.  He is currently taking antibiotics and seems to be responding well.  Here are some symptoms that led us to take him to the vet:

-Lethargy

-Loss of appetite

-Weight loss

Has anyone else had this happen to your puppy?

Thank you,

Melissa

Views: 656

Replies to This Discussion

Just read the update.  I am so glad it turned out to be a UTI...not that you are happy about it but it is the lesser of two evils!  I think there are quite a few people on DK who have experienced it.  Our neighbor's Doodle came to them from the breeder with one and it was treated but not followed up on and it went on and on for probably 6 months.  This is something you want to stay on top of and have a recheck for a while after going off the antibiotics.  Sometimes they look like they are over it and it turns out they were taken off the antibiotic a week too early.  So glad Bailey is feeling better and you are too now knowing what was wrong!  Hugs to you both!
Our male St. Bernard puppy developed a UTI. He had many pee accidents in the house and urinated more than any other dog I know, and had a strange discharge. Another symptom he had was that he would whimper when lying down, as if the pressure hurt him. He was on an antibiotic and responded well to the treatment. He's been fine since. Glad to know Bailey is doing better!

Both of our girls had UTI at about the same age.

The tip off for us was "accidents" in the house after months of perfrect control.

Trav had what I think was a UTI--though nothing bad showed up on his urine test and his only symptoms were a 'pain pose' in the mornings for a few minutes and licking his urinary area.  By pain pose I mean standing very still with his back hunched, tail tucked, not wanting to move.  The vet put him on antibiotics and he was fine a week later.  Again, his symptoms were pretty vague, but I know my dog and knew there was SOMETHING wrong!

Mike and I were talking this evening and realized that Bailey started having accidents in the kitchen, when he was doing really well with potty training, about 2 weeks ago.  We just thought we were not getting to him in time.  Although, I told Mike it was not normal for him and that he must not feel well, but we did nothing.  We feel so bad!  Last week he was whining when he was laying on his bed in the kitchen.  We just thought he wanted to be in the loving room with us. So we would bring him in the living room with us.  My poor baby!!!

Thank you all for responding.  UTIs are awful, our poor babies!

Melissa...another thing to keep in mind.  I found this out when we brought Gracie Doodle home as a puppy.  The breeder had done the first deworming which is normal I guess.  We took her to the vet to get her a clean bill of health and established.  They did the usual fecal, blood and started the puppy shots.  Her fecal came back with a parasite and we had to start her on an antibiotic for 12 days which didn't quite take care of it so she had to continue on for another cycle.  During this time I was trying to potty train her and all the things I read about the size of their crate and how they do not want to soil where they sleep went right out the window.  I was trying everything and she still peed in her crate.  I was so frustrated and didn't know what to do.  At the same time we were contacting a private trainer to come over to get us started on the dos and don'ts, etc.  The minute I told her about Gracie peeing in her crate she asked me if she was on an antibiotic.  I told her yes and she said I can guarantee you that the minute she is done with the medication she will no longer go in her crate and will be easy to train.  She said the antibiotic acts like a diuretic and gives them the urge to go all the time.  Such a hard thing for such a little puppy to deal with!  Well, she was right and Gracie potty trained beautifully.  It would have been nice if one of the many authors of these training books had addressed this problem.   So the little set back on Bailey having accidents is probably directly related to the UTI and the antibiotic.  Once you get past all of this he should be back on track with his potty training.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service