DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We are getting our puppy in about 11 days. We will have to drive nearly 6 hours home with him, obviously requiring us to stop.

I've read to avoid rest stops because of potential for parvo or other canine illness. I was also thinking fast food type places might be a place many other dogs frequent.

Would a puppy likely potty on asphalt if we just pull into a strip mall parking lot or something? Should I bring wipes to wipe his feet after? Will that help?

Any suggestions?

Also how often would you think we'd need to stop? Every 2 hours or more often? If he's sleeping I'm guessing we can just keep going, but I guess the sleeping could end up just being wishful thinking.

Views: 316

Replies to This Discussion

It'll probably be easier than you think. Just think of places dogs don't typically go, and you should be fine. I had a 1.5 hour drive from my breeder's house to the airport with both T&H and we stopped at a non-dog-friendly hotel near the airport (that I had scoped out ahead of time) and they went there. Since it wasn't a dog friendly hotel, I knew patrons weren't bringing dogs there so it was "safe". You could also do it at an office building, a mall, a restaurant, etc. All places dogs don't usually go. I wouldn't have any hesitations about taking him to a strip mall and letting him on the grass as long as there wasn't a petco/petsmart/other dog store there.

I'd also just let him sleep and only stop when he wakes up!

That's a good idea. I'll look into no-pet hotels since they are right off the highway usually.

Thank you!

Dogs could have been anywhere. I would just put a pee pad in the crate and risk him going in there. If he does,you throw it out and put a new one in. You can start potty training when you're home.

I wasn't sure how well he'd do in the crate the whole way home and we will definitely have to stop for our own break as I have kids that will need a restroom break. I will see how he does in it though, just thought it might be scary for him leaving his littermates with us and then being placed in a crate for such a long drive, so am prepared to hold him on my lap on towels. I don't really have a problem if he pees on the towels if worse comes to worse.

I do agree that there's no way to know where a dog has been though which is what has me worried.

We drove 3.5 hours and really only had to stop one time. Our puppy slept nearly the whole time - I think it was an exciting/stressful thing, so he was pretty exhausted. We stopped at a gas station and since it was the off-season for the area we were going, it was pretty quiet - though we also didn't think about parvo at the time, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. I'd say continue along and if the puppy wakes up, stop. I'd probably plan out a couple places you can stop along the way - I think the idea of strip malls is a good one.

Lol. All this pre-puppy reading has me worrying about all the possible things that they can contract. It's worse than having a baby and worrying about all the what ifs...LOL

I totally understand! I was totally on edge our whole drive, but he slept like a baby the entire time. I should say that we had set the back of the car up like a bed for him, but he slept in my lap on top of the blanket that the breeder gave us (it had his mom's scent).

Hi!  Congratulations on your coming puppy :)  We also had to drive 6 hours home after getting Cooper.  Originally my boys wanted Cooper to stay in between them but Cooper moved around too much so we moved him to the crate.  We made three stops, all in a parking lot area.  We placed a pee pad on the ground but Cooper did not pee at all on all three stops.  He did throw up after our first stop, motion sickness/car sick I believe.  Our first stop was at an In and Out burger.  lol. Once we got him home, he went potty on his designated gravel potty area :)

It was much easier than we had anticipated.  Like you, we were worried about where he would pee and how he would be in the car for 6 hours.  He did great and I think your puppy will too!   Good luck!

Thank you!!  I did plan on towels in case of throw up or lap peeing :-) I will get some pee pads too. Did you have trouble keeping him on them when you stopped?

Did you offer him water on the drive at all?

It's good to know that you made it. 6 hours is pretty long in the van without a brand new puppy. I keep wondering if his presence will make it seem shorter (cuteness to focus on) or longer (anxious or car sick dog.)

We did offer him water but he drank very little, maybe that's why he didn't need to pee. You're right, he didn't stay on the pee pad. We let him walk a little just around our car. Looking back, I think I was more worried about the whole ordeal than I needed to. Lol. We have a friend who also had to drive six hours home with his puppy. He didn't stop at all!

My kids were the ones that needed the potty stops. Lol. So we stopped because of them, not Cooper. He did really well :). So just play by ear, stop when your kids need to and then let your puppy out for a stretch. If he pees, great. If not, don't sweat it and just hurry home. Lol The excitement and puppy talk will make the drive home seem fairly short. :)

Kat ~ I hope you luck out like we did.  Our breeder lives 300 miles away.  We drove over the night before and then picked up our puppy at noon the next day and drove straight home - only stopped for coffee once. We have picked two puppies up from this breeder over a 2 year period and each of them slept the entire trip home.  Both time my husband drove and I had puppy on a blanket right next to my side.    

Thank you. I hope so too:-) We are driving there the night before as well, so we can feel rested. We thought about getting up early and trying to do it all in one day but figured we want it to be a joyful time for the kids meeting their new puppy.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service