DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,  

So I'v lived with my pup for 2 months now and he's been perfect.  He has lost and grown out most of his puppy teeth and he hasn't chewed anything of mine. He just hoards everything and puts it on his bed.  He leaves my shoes alone and just seems to know what is a toy and what is mine.

He has been sleeping out of his crate for the past month with no problems with 0 accidents.  He's completely potty trained and even gets his leash when he wants to go outside and rings the bell. (video on my page)

He is super well socialized , doesn't jump up on people or even try to bite my hands or ankles and is super obedient..

The problem?  It's eerie and weird. I'm expecting him to go throughout his rebellion stage, he's been so good that I feel like this is the calm before the storm.  

My Dad's doodle ate thousands of dollars worth of stuff and I'v talked to other puppy owners who lament on how their puppies are a menace and wondering if mine will go throughout this as well?

Has anyone else experienced the perfect puppy , does it pretty much stay this way it is or is this the calm before the storm?

It just seems too easy , and i'm def. not used to easy so i'm suspicious.... 

I'v never had a big dog before , 

Thanks in advance for reading,

Background:

5 month old puppy

not neutered(yet)/ male 

Views: 497

Replies to This Discussion

My only comment is for you to enjoy your perfect puppy. If he turns out not to be totally perfect, you'll find out eventually whether you worry about it or not.

Right now, my 5 month old little girl doodle is chewing on my shoelace, and her potty training is not perfect, but close. But she is a very good little girl, for the most part, and the sweetest puppy I have ever owned,

Thanks!  The problem is I'm starting to trust him and give him more freedom and want to give him free roam when i'm not there  but don't want to come home and realize that it was a mistake and possibly have him chew on something he wasn't suppose to or unsafe?  

I'm thinking once he gets taller to snag stuff off the counter is when I'll see the "real puppy" come out?  

It's just weird and wondering how long the honey moon phase lasts?

It sounds like you have one of those doodles that we all believe and hope we are getting but not all doodles are created equal. I have 2 doodles, one 7 mts., his half brother is almost 8 months. Barkley, the 8 month old is as close to perfect as we could have ever imagined. He is sweet, smart and just the most lovable critter ever, he can be a little stubborn but I think he's entering his teenage phase. Oscar on the other hand is a terror, has mild anxiety, chews everything in sight, is showing signs of guarding issues, has had serious food sensitivity issues, does almost nothing you want him to but can also be sweet and lovable. He is my work in progress and commands much more time, attention and training. Love them both dearly but I am sad to say that some days it's much easier to love my almost perfect Barkley more!

Thanks for sharing,I feel like a jerk asking about it, but  I was starting to think there was something wrong with him because he's too calm.... 

I suppose puppys are like people, some carry old souls , Barkley (cute name) and Finn must have old wise souls whereas Oscars' must be young and new :)

Perfectly said! I have always referred to Barkley as having an old soul and Oscar, well.. is just Oscar. I am hopeful that additional training and time will get Oscar where he needs to be.

Hi there.  I was beginning to think I had the only perfect puppy.  I've been reading all the stories on here and it also made me wonder how I ended up with such a good puppy.  I   contributed part of it to getting him when he was 3 months old so that he could socialize more with his litter mates.  He was also raised in the house - not in a crate - but with the family.  From the first day he came home he slept through the night - about 12 hours - and has slept through the night ever since.  Except one night he put his paws on the bed letting me know he had to go out to throw up.  He only chews on his toys and nothing that is mine.  I did used to put him in a crate when he'd be home alone but only for a few months and eventually let him out a couple hours at a time on his own.  Then just said, well I'll see what he does all day when I'm at work.  I think he just sleeps on the couch because he's never  disturbed anything except some of his toys might be in a different spot.  He rarely barks; in fact, it was a couple months before I even heard a peep out of him.  He loves all dogs and people.  He learned to ring the potty bell after 1-2 weeks to go out.  He has almost self-taught himself to do the small agility course at the park.  He tries so hard to please.  He is just a snuggle bug too.  His breeder said he was the one who preferred people over his litter mates.  Yet, he doesn't have separation anxiety either.  I just can't say enough good things about him.  He likes to carry a toy to bed at bedtime.  I'll tell him it's bedtime, want to bring a toy and he'll go get one and carry it to bed.  The only negative is he likes to walk fast.  I'm a fairly fast walker myself but sometimes at the beginning of our walks I have to let him know that he's to stay beside me.  But he's been cooped up all day in the house so I can hardly blame his exuberance.  I would definitely buy from the same breeder IF I were to get another puppy (no plans to do this) but I doubt there will ever be another Boone.  Boone will be 2 on July 20th.  So I think it's safe to say he's going to stay being good.

WOW!!! Finn's Dad's name was Boone.  I'm starting to think we got our pups from the same breeder! I got my puppy kind of late too (3 months as well) and in hindsight that may be a huge contributor , he was also raised in a house .  My experience has been almost identical to yours, and feel more comfortable letting him out while I'm at work when school starts back again.  At the moment I'v been confining him to the bathroom with a baby gate because he likes the coolness of the tile and it's safe.  I have never heard him growl and was surprised when he barked the other day at a bird.  I didn't think he knew how to ....

Finn ALSO walks fast but I attribute it to his puppy energy and so I try to accommodate him by walking quicker.  I can't wait until we can run together but the research i'v done advises to hold off until he is full grown in an effort to protect his skeletal frame.  So we avoid stairs and runs...

Thank you so much for reassuring my paranoia by taking the time to share your experiences!!  

This is really interesting to me. We ALSO got Tenley at 11 weeks and he was raised in a house. And as I mentioned earlier he is an amazingly well behaved puppy too. I wonder if more time with siblings makes that big of a difference?!

I personally think it does.  I think I read somewhere that around 7-8 weeks they start the nipping and if left with their siblings another month they will teach each other what is acceptable and what is not.

I think you're def. on to something Patti,  I too have read that 7-8 weeks should be the minimum time they go home which most people do because they are heart melting adorable when they are so small. I thought socialization was a huge reason why pups should be left with Mom because it teaches them exactly what you mention of what is acceptable and not.

This is an interesting article of a study done in Italy with 140 puppies where half were separated early and the other half were kept at 8 weeks and how the pups taken later were significantly different than those taken early and the common behaviors observed.  The key word here is "at least" meaning minimum, I'm wondering what would happen if pups were taken much later like ours and it's effect on behavior ....

I sometimes wish I could have seen my boy in his early moments of clumsy young puppy cuteness BUT not to the expense of what I have going on with him now...

Many Breeders keep their pups until 12 weeks. Past that, Mom no longer wants to nurse and is " officially" done with them. The pups teeth are now very sharp and she is on to other things. The times I kept a pup out of my own litters, were very tough, because puppy wants to nurse. And Mom says nothing doing!
A puppy leaving it's Mom and litter mates before the 8 week mark MAY be destined for some problems, As even one extra week is very important for the Mom and all that she passes onto the puppies.

Hmm I"m thinking this might be a great new discussion..

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service