DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We live in florida next to a lake. Luna is walked multiple times a day and she is getting pretty stinky. I will admit that contrary to many recommendations I did bath her already when we first got her and another time because of her stepping into a mess i maid in the kitchen with sticky coffee!
Anyways... i find her still to be stinky. Her lady parts are rinsed almost daily but i dont know what to do. Is it okay to shower her maybe once every 2 weeks?? I noticed smell coming from her ears but the vet said she was perfectly fine.
We have tried the puppy perfume and the bounce dryer sheets when she gets wet but a couple hours later it comes backl!!
Could it be the food? She eats Nutro Max chicken and rice for puppies?? I was thinking of changing it to Orijen or Acana perhaps?
Please help my ... stinky situation...
Thanks!
PS: should i just get over it?

Views: 239

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Did someone advise against bathing her?  Why?

What does she smell like?

yes, the internet and even vet. Said it would strip away her natural oils.
She smells like wet dirty dog.

we bathe our dogs every 2 weeks & would do it more often if they needed it.   some of the smell has to be bacteria...i'd give her a really good bath.

Bathing and shampooing OUR hair strips us of our natural oils.  But luckily both dogs and people make more oil so I think your dog will be fine with a bath.  Just use a dog shampoo and rinse well and see if she still smells.
Usually with my dogs it is either: anal glands, dirty butt, stinky beard or mouth, or that they have rolled in something (most rare).  Check inside her mouth and between teeth in case something got stuck in there like a stick.

Well, this is going to sound strange, but you have to figure out what stinks. Urine? Might suggest a medical problem. Anals (tuna-fishy smell)- suggest soft poop that should be harder. Get them expressed, and work on fiber. Stinky feet (Frito-smelling): you'll just have to wash them more often. The yeasts give off their own unique smell. Stinky ears? You do have to clean then regularly. Stinky beard? Again, sometimes it needs to be cleaned more often than the rest of them because it's in food and wet a lot from drinking.

And PS- I see nothing wrong with a bath every couple of weeks. If Charlie goes to daycare, he gets a bath once a week. I try to only use shampoo every other time, and a rinse-out conditioner every time.

Well, first off, I think Luna is awfully cute! I started bathing Oscar when he was young too, and have about every 3 weeks with a gentle puppy shampoo. I think as long as you use a gentle shampoo and don't bathe too frequently, its fine. He's our 'stinky' puppy of the 2 doodles we have, although Lucy, the other, can get musty smelling too after a while (she's due for a bath today!). Not sure if a food change would make a difference. We changed Oscar's to Acana (for another reason) and he still has an odor about him. Its a little less now that his adult teeth have come in. I am getting use to his smell, but the other day, after his bath, when he was still a little damp, he had a pretty strong odor until he dried completely. His ears are clean and pink and do not smell. He is a messy drinker and eater and we have to wipe his face after he drinks and eats (I think a lot of his smell comes from his face). I've heard that washing the beard with a saline solution can help (but haven't tried it yet). He's had a red yeast problem from the beginning (turning his beard and bottom a rusty red color), which I think we've gotten under control, but until his hair grows out it may stay a little stinky. He has had some urine smell at times, too, because he gets pee on a leg or 2. So, I think there's several things contributing to his smell, and maybe that will fade as time goes on. I've got to start washing his face with a saline solution and see if that makes any difference.

I don't know if this will help but I usually rinse Hurley off once a week, shampoo him every two weeks with a shampoo that does not dry out his skin.   He goes to the groomer every 4-6 weeks.  

I recently started adding coconut oil to his food.  It should give him a glossy coat and help with his digestive system.  Is just a teaspoon for every 10 lbs.  I mix it in with his food.

Luna is very cute by the way.

Luna is a cutie :) Nobody told me I couldn't bathe Holmes when we first got him so I did- probably too much, once a week. But that's just because he was always rolling around outside! Now he gets a bath every other week or every 3 weeks, just depending. I have to admit though- it took me a good month to get used to his regular doggy smell, even when he was clean. Someone here mentioned cleaning their ears real good, that helped for me because he does seem to have extra stinky ears. Luckily he doesn't have bad breath (yet?) and I hope he doesn't get it!

thanks guys! i will post some pics of her shower! She looked miserable and rolled around the carpet when we were done. 

She smells much much better!!!!!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service