DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Wondering if anyone has any advice about car sickness??? Parker starts foaming at the mouth as soon as he gets in the car (as you can see in this photo from today)! He loves going in the car because he knows it takes him to fun things...even when we are just taking a walk outside he will pull me to go by the car because he wants to get in...yet when he DOES get to go in the car...he foams at the mouth, drools uncontrollably and then barfs whatever food he has eaten that day! (Sometimes he doesn't throw up but there is no formula for when he does and doesn't). We blast the a/c in his face so he doesn't get hot and this still doesn't do anything! His vet suggested giving him benadryl before we know we are going in the car...I have a couple of times now but it doesn't seem to change anything...I gave it to him today and he still threw up and drooled until the backseat was soaked! When he is tired on the way home (usually after he's thrown up everything in his stomach anyway) he's fine but I don't know! I am not going to fit in the back with him much longer! He already takes up most of the seat and pushes me with his paws to stretch out! He has a seatbelt but still wont sit still unless I am sitting with him....

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh poor baby - I have no advice, but I am curious about the advice you receive.  Bruin did get sick once after a car ride to PetSmart.  Hope you get some answers.

I would not sit in the back with him. This way its much harder for you to soothe him - soothing him actually teaches him that he is responding the right way (which he isnt). I know its hard not to soothe them when they dont feel good.

Cooper used to drool ALOT in the car, but it was down to excitement. She never vomited and now doesnt drool either. She often wont sit for a long time too - I hate it when she stands on the back seat. Eventually she will sit, and even lay down when she is tired. laying down can help with motion sickness (my old roommate had a dog who whould vomit if he sat, but was ok lying down).

Once they have been sick once they tend to work themselves up into being sick the next time. Try taking Parker on really small trips in the car - to teach him that he wont always get sick. Then he is less likely to be sick as he isnt anticipating being sick. Start by just getting in the car, putting his seat belt on, and sitting there. Once hes ok with this, try turning on the car too. Then drive 1 block.... a few blocks etc.

You could also try some motion sickness pills from the vet, or look for some herbal ones from your pet store, to help break the cycle.

Yah, he doesn't always get sick so it depends on the day really. And I am not so much soothing as I am back there able to catch the throw-up in a towel before it gets all over my new car! That is why he hasn't been back there alone. He is just a pain in the tooshie! Maybe I will check for motion sickness meds or something...I dunno...
Harley battled with this on every ride.  I had read that once a dog throws up several times in the car it begins a vicious cycle creating anxiety which leads to vomiting.  It said to break the cycle by having small succesful rides.  So we started with small rides around the block. The big change came when I purchased a sling type seat covering (to protect and more easy clean up) but it actually gave him a better footing.  Now we lift the back seat up so there is a larger floor board area and he does fine.  I have a car harness for him, but I think he associated it with the anxiety and vomiting.  He will now actually climb on to the third row seat in my car and seems to be his new fav place to ride.  so the harness may be coming out again. Hope this helps
I have seen the hammock and was considering getting one since it protects the floor and such as well! I have a seat cover but he will just barf all over the uncovered parts of the car if i'm not back there with him to catch it in the towels! lol
Casey does the same thing. You can ask you vet for motion sickness pills. Or you can take for short rides to somewhere he likes (friend's house, dog store, dog park) As time goes on you can go for longer rides. That worked for Casey and now she doesn't drool as much.
I used the prescription motion sickness pills with Guinness for a few months, and then he just got over it.  Also, we did lots of real short rides (sometimes just around the block) and then graduated to longer trips.  He's totally fine in the car now.  Good luck!
No advice but I hope he grows out of this, so sad!

I share your pain on this one. At least Parker enjoys the car. Zach was developing an aversion to the car. My vet told me he is likely to out grow it. In the mean time, if I know that we are going in the car, I try  not to feed him within 2 hours of the trip and then only feed him lightly (kind of hard since he still eats three times a day). Make car trips fun - so lots of fun destinations. Fresh air in the car when ever possible. Try to have him face forward - for safety reasonse he can't sit in the front seat but I have been buckling him in the middle back seat so he can face forward and see out the front windshield. I take him on tons of small trips. We drive the 1/8 of a mile to the park down the road to play ball and then start our walk from there - but at least he gets a short car trip with a fun ending. This is supposed to get rid of the nervous association between the car and the car sickness???? Anyway, he still gets drooly, but he is not nervous about getting in the car and he has not thrown up in awhile. I haven't taken any trips longer than 4 miles in quite some time, so I don't know how he will do on longer trips.

Good luck - I do hope it is a developmental thing that they grow out of.

I never even thought there would be an association between car rides and getting sick...he's basically psyching himself out now and making himself sick! The moment he steps foot in the car, he goes from being normal to drooling uncontrollably! Tonight's ride he took, he made it without throwing up but still drooled like crazy!

Bella has always been a carsick pup but the rides have gotten longer and longer, and it doesn't seem to matter if she is sitting or laying down. I do lots of fresh air, take corners slow, and just watch for the signs and have stopped and let her out for a quick breather when safe if I saw the drooling or even yawning start. She LOVES the car and gets so excited in it. It think it really is just the motion, like it is with us. I'm not at all anxious on a boat, but give it enough motion and there is sickness potential there. 

I've had Bella throw up at 5:00 pm at night after 12 hours since her last meal, so waiting after feeding never helped me. Always surprised me how much was still in there actually, but I am getting off topic.

I still carry lots of towels and double layer any protection I put on the seats. I think age helps, so I hope Parker and Bella both just grow out of it.

Hi.  I sooooooo understand your pain and frustration!!

We had the same problem with Cooper when he was younger.  Horrible car sickness most of the time (as in 90% of the time) but we could never figure out the pattern as to why it wasn't every time.  (I actually made a "Cooper Clean Up Kit" (paper towels, zip lock bags, cleaner, etc.) that we kept in the car.)  In an effort to cure him of it I tried going on really short trips and then increasing the distance.  I tried distracting him when he was in car.  I tried taking different routes (thinking too many hills or turns was causing it.)  I tried the windows open/closed, air conditioning on/off.  (Driving with all the windows open in Northern Michigan in the middle of January is not fun.)  Anyhow, as a last resort I was looking at the anti-motion sickness pills at the local pet store one day and another customer came up to me and told me not to waste my money.  He said to give Cooper 3 gingersnap cookies about 30 minutes before we were going to go in the car.  I admit, I thought it sounded a little too good to be true, but because I don't like give my animals medication unless absolutely necessary, I figured I'd give it a try.  IT WORKED!!  We did that for about 6 months and then I think he just outgrew the car sickness because about 4 months ago I forgot to give him the gingersnaps and he didn't have any problems and hasn't had any problems since and he's in the car at least 2-4 times a week.

Good Luck!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service