DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I live in Massachusetts, and am purchasing a goldendoodle from a breeder in Illinois. He is charging me a tax for the sale of the dog, even though in MA there is no tax on a pet purchase. Does this sound right? Shouldn't the breeder have to pay for their own tax instead of passing it on to me?

Views: 2403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our breeder from IL also charges tax on dogs too unless the dog was shipped then we didn't.. I forget how it worked but if we actually went to IL to pick up the dog we had to pay taxes... I think you have to pay for what the dog you are buying from's state says... If you were buying the dog in a state that didn't have tax on a dog then I would say that is weird

We are shipping the dog. I have no idea if Illinois even requires sales tax on a pet. Am googling around and can't figure out on either end. I somehow feel it's a way for the breeder to up the $ of the dog without having it be obvious. Hope I'm wrong.

We purchased Daisy in OH and no tax was paid...unless of course she just paid it herself and I paid a higher price...who knows. I guess you could say either way I would have paid.

Sales tax must be paid by the end user of the product, which in this case is you. And yes, Illinois charges sales tax on a pet. It's a retail purchase, all sellers must collect tax on all merchandise they sell, file reports of all sales, and send the required tax to the state.  

http://tax.illinois.gov/Publications/ComplianceAlerts/CA-2011-10.pdf

Breeders who sell animals as pets must register with the Department of Revenue. Those that are required must
collect tax on the sale of the animals and remit the tax to the department.
Tax is due when the animal is sold to a purchaser who will keep it as a pet.

I don't know, I would ask him about it if you are concerned. If it is the principal of the matter I understand that, if it is shelling out more money.. purchasing the doodle is just the first step.. I would say between vet bills, neutering, puppy shots, puppy socialization, dog walkers if applicable .. Healthy dog food and treats, buying the doodle is the cheapest part.... I can't count because I don't allow myself to know how much I actually spend on my dog but I can tell you between grooming, health insurance, treats and food. It is way more then my monthly food budget... Granted I am single

I paid tax on Bexter.  I paid $1,800 for him PLUS tax.  He's expensive, but so worth it!

hmm, I never thought of it. I assume tax was built into my total price for Cooper ( BC Canada). it make sense that tax is paid, as it is a business and the breeder should pay tax...

Yes I paid the tax as well. Every breeder that I looked at during my search charged the tax as well.

My breeder is in Mass and she was advised that she has to charge sales tax.

We live in WA.  The breeders here quote a price & then the website says "WA residents subject to sales tax".  We bought Oskar in ID & did not pay any sales tax.

These dogs are so expensive, it would be worthwhile for you to question it.

I didn't pay any tax, at least it wasn't quoted. But the gal I bought from wasn't a professional breeder either. Weird to think you have to pay tax on your puppy, but it does make sense.

I honestly don't remember.  But it makes sense that you'd pay tax like for any other product you'd purchase in a similar fashion. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service