DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi again!! I am still in search of the perfect food for Bodi. As you know, Giardia 4x, bacterial imbalance 1x -- Panacur + Metro multiple times. A month ago his stools was formed, soft but had mucous. I took it to the vet. They said there was no parasite but that the mucous indicated bad flora in his gut. They suggested a probiotic, Proviable DC or Tylan. Bodi had been taking Proviable + Gentle Digest for 4 months so we opted for the Tylan. He took the Tylan 2x a day for 7 days -- he didn't have any marked improvement. The vet thinks his stool is soft because the food might be too rich for him. He was on TOTW, FROMM, Honest kitchen, Orijen and now she wants me to try a limited ingredient food. I came home with California Natural because I wonder if perhaps he needs grain in his diet and that might be the missing link. The foods I have fed him to date have been grain free. What do you think? I was torn between purchasing InstinctLimited Ingredients but ended up with California Natural because it is a limited ingredient with some grains...

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 1182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might want to post this in the Food Group. Good luck!

How do I do that??

Go to groups at the top of the page, search for the Food Group, join the food group and then post your question! Good luck! 

I'll just put my two cents in....I had the same problem with Lucy.  After months of switching food, we figured out it was chicken that messed up her intestines.  Both my girls on on TOTW, lamb.  Haven't had an issue since.  I hope you find something that works.

How old is Bodi? I had a similar expeirece with Sam when he was about 5-6 months old. We were switching his foods and I was just doing it too fast. Once I slowed down the transitition the mucus in his stolls went away. He did better with a grain food during that time, but he is now on Acana/Orijen.. We used Nature's Variety then. In my opinion it sounds like you have switched his food a lot, I would stick with one food and not change anything. Add some pumpkin and non fat plain yogurt to his food and see how he does. His gut flora is out of whack and consitiency in his diet might be just what he needs. Also, over feeding can cause loose stools so be sure you are not doing that!

We started with grain free but have had better success with healthy grains (grain free caused frequent soft stools). The best ones for us have been Lotus Puppy and Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear. If your looking for a limited ingredient diet with grains, Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear is a great option (it has steel cut oats). I highly recommend it.

We currently feed Oliver Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear, grilled salmon (cooked at home), and Nancy's organic probiotic greek yogurt. It's been the winning combination for Oliver. Good luck, I hope Bodi feels better soon!

I had the same problem with Oliver his first year, I ended up switching to a grain free and he has done wonderful since.  He is on Natures Bounty, each bag I buy I switch up the flavors.  His poops are beautiful now ( I know TMI ) LOL :)  

It's very doubtful that this has anything to do with the particular food, but a limited ingredient formula is probably the best idea. What you need to be looking at is the specific ingredients, though, not the brand. You need to look at the protein sources in each of the formulas you have tried, in case there may be some food intolerance that is contributing to the digestive issues. For example, chicken is chicken, whether it's in a TOTW formula, a Fromm formula, or an Honest Kitchen formula. If there should happen to be a chicken intolerance, switching brands is not going to help if there is still chicken in the formula. In dogs with GI disease, we look for a food that contains a "novel" protein, one that the dog has never eaten before, just in case the issues are caused by a particular protein source to which the dog has become sensitized.

You also have to look at macronutrient percentages. Again, the brand has nothing to do with this. Look at protein and fat content. Sometimes, higher fat foods contribute to loose stools. Lower protein foods can also have that effect. That's one reason grain-frees can help, because the lower the carbohydrate percentage, the higher the protein, in general. 

Fiber content is also important. Most dogs with digestive issues need a lot of fiber. 

"Richness" in food relates to fat content. When people say "the food is too rich for him", what they really mean is that the formula is too complex, i.e. too many different ingredients or protein sources. 

Multiple incidents of intestinal parasites plus multiple rounds of antibiotics and wormers is a suspected cause of Inflammatory Bowel Disease in dogs. I really think that Bodi's digestive issues have to do with a bacterial imbalance in the gut and not with any specific food. However, a higher protein, lower fat diet with a lot of fiber might help. And I would look for a novel protein source.

Tylan will only help if there is a problem in the large intestine, and 7 days is probably not enough time to see a difference. The dosage may also have been too low. In either case, it's still important to continue to give the probiotics, and never within two hours of any antibiotics. 

Thanks Karen. We are trying Acana duck & Pear and I am giving him sweet potato/pumpkin too. He seems to like it and is doing ok so far. I appreciate your help. 

I think you made a good choice.

Given Bodi's history and issues, it would be a very good idea to keep a list of all of the protein sources he has had in the various foods you've tried. If you know which particular formulas they were, you can find the ingredient lists on-line on the manufacturer's websites. (The FG recommended brands list has links to the company websites). I wish someone had given me that advice years ago. :) 

Good luck and I hope the new food helps.

And I would also continue to give the probiotics. Very important.

Yes, I am continuing the Proviable probiotic. I forgot to mention that the Vet also said to continue with the Tylan for 2-6 weeks depending on how he does. So I am giving him the Tylan 2x a day 1/8 tsp and giving the probiotic in the middle of the day. I am hoping he will be consistant soon!! 

Again, I appreciate your help and patience on this issue. It hasn't been from lack of effort that we haven't solved this -- its been ongoing for 9 months -- but we are hopeful we are on the right track!!

Thanks again. Enjoy your Sunday.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service