DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hey, everybody! Thank you to all of you who have welcomed me to this forum with open arms! I can tell how much you all love your Doodles! I want to be a part of this too! Long story short, I'd actually love to have another baby- we already have a 6 yr old boy and a 4 yr old girl, so we have the "million dollar family" already. My husband is completely content and wants no more children. But, I can't help that motherly instinct in me always feeling the need to care for something. KWIM??? Soooo, I thought that maybe bringing a puppy into our family would be a nice compromise. I'd get a little of what I need and the kids would surely love having a puppy too. But, again, my husband really dislikes the idea! He says that they're too messy, bark too much, smell funny, demand too much or our time, and keep you from being able to just pick up and go when you want to. Obviously I realize that all these things are somewhat true, but can focus on the positive things you get from a loving companion. I mean, kids are hard work too- but totally worth it! So what's a girl to do?! I'm a stay at home mom, so I would be the primary caregiver to the dog and I do have the time and attention to devote to him/ her.
So what do you think... I am in over my head? Is there any way to bring my husband around? Any thoughts/ advice would be great!

Thanks so much for "listening" to my rambling!!

Kristin

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People who work have dogs. Dogs do NOT need a caretaker 24-7. Puppies need a lot of supervision but adult dogs do not. If you go back to work in a few years, the dog - and your children and your husband (duh) would have to adjust. A lot of people on doodlekisses enjoy and can spend 24-7 with their dogs but lots of people who love their dogs have lives outside of dog ownership. Once you make a commitment to getting a dog, like parenting, you simply make it work. Good luck. I am sure you will be telling us about your doodle soon.
Agreed!
Yes, if you go back to work one day, the pup will be fine! I work 5 days/week. I have changed my lifestyle to get up 2 hours before work for walks and puppy time, then husband and I trade off to come home during lunch and one of us always comes home immediately after work. You can make it work!!! Peri sleeps more than 1/2 the day anyway! We also do training, etc...
So, if you think you are ready for puppy madness and your husband gets on board, I agree that there is no time like the present!
I grew up in a family with five siblings and my father did not want a dog. One day my mother gave my sixteen yr old sister a cheque (check in th US) and the five of us got in her boyfriends car and drove to the house of a friend whose purebred wire haired fox terrior had puppies. We picked a male and brought him home. We were all afraid to tell Dad so we just put the puppy out in the yard where my dad was as he was cleaning the garage. The pup waddled up to him and they looked at each other and the "love story" began from that minute on. They adored each other from then on and dad NEVER questioned why we brought this dog home. This dog became the joy of our family and since then as we all grew up and married, we still talk about him with tears and laughter. He was part of our childhood and those memories are so wonderful. We have all grown up now and we all have dogs and all of our children will have dogs. They are such a blessing.
I completely agree with not being able to predict the future - maybe it could be DH home in 4 years as a SAHD! You are right you just cannot predict the future, and really in the end if you are committed it will all work out. Its like waiting for the perfect time to have kids IT NEVER COMES! Nothing is ever the "perfect" situation and never will be. We have a small, standard F! goldendoodle. We thought she would get around 45-50 lbs but at 8 months she is only 30 and the vet says will probably stay on the smaller size. Are you looking at the miniture doodles?
The organizations that raise and train dogs for the disabled often need homes for these puppies in training. You have a commitment for a period of months and then they get placed. It works differently for each organization. These dogs are picked for their ability to be trained and do jobs and are genetically chosen from proven parents for these positions. This helps get a good puppy. You get support in raising your puppy for them if you need help. Costs are covered to some degree as well. This would kill two birds with one stone. It would give you the need to care for something ex baby, puppy, and actually help another person get the life long assisstance they need from the dog you help to raise to fulfill thier dream. People are on waiting lists due to the fact they don't have the homes they need to raise these pups.
This gives you the chance to make this decision for you and your family with out the explicit ok from the husband because you will be taking it on as your job and your extra hobby. But it will give you a few months of reality in raising puppys seeing how the kids and husband respond. If it isn't a good experience you will have saved yourself and a puppy alot of hearthache. If it is a good experience bam you then can go from there. I think this is a great idea. Let me know if this is what you might follow through with. I'd be very interested.
Hi, Lorraine. I LOVE that idea! You're right- it'd be a great way to fulfill my need to care for something, and allow my husband the opportunity to really see what it would be like to have a dog in the house. And I love that we would be helping someone in need at the same time. I have mild allergies to dogs, which is the reason I'm very interested in doodles. Do you know of any service organizations that deal with doodles?
What a great idea for anyone thinking about getting a dog, but not quite sure or ready to make the forever commitment.
The only down side is this - my son is dating a girl who trains National Service Dogs - dogs to assist children with autism. She has worked with 8 different dogs. She currently has a dog that will be ready to go in January. However....this particular dog she is incredibly attached to. It is wonderfully trained, beautifully tempered, and just a real joy. We know it is going to tear her up to give up Ira. You have to love and train the dog you are given, with the knowledge that you are teaching it to love and obey someone else.
I thought about getting a puppy for one of the 2 organizations we have near here that train guide dogs.I realized that giving up a pup at about Luca's age would be too hard for me. I have tremendous admiration for the people who do raise these puppies, sometimes many over the years. Maybe someday I could consider one of these pups since I have my own now. Would that make it easier to give the pup up, I wonder?
Thank God for these unselfish caring people. If nobody was willing to raise these puppies, the people who need these service dogs would be out of luck.
Yes, they are truly wonderful. Oftentimes adolescents are the primary caregivers for Seeing Eye pups.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service