DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have to admit, I've been wondering if my doodle gets more exercise than she needs. I realize this might sound a little crazy at first, because isn't more always better? I really prioritize Lucie getting her full exercise every day, and I think its possible that I worry about it more than I should, because perhaps she would be fine with less...so I wanted to get some other opinions on what you guys think is the right amount of exercise. I also realize that the more she gets, the more she needs, and her endurance may always exceed mine!

Currently Lucie and I spend a minimum of 2 hours a day outside exercising. This is usually in the form of a 1 hour walk (with about 20 min off leash on trails in the woods) and 1 hour in the evening (45 minutes of running off leash in the woods + 15-20 minuts of fetch in a huge field - her favorite). Needless to say we both sleep well at night! On the weekend things are a little different and she usually spends more time outside playing and less time walking.

I care a lot about keeping Lucie happy and giving her a high quality doggie life, but I am wondering if she is at an age where this much exercise is still necessary or is there an age where they need less? The friends I've asked think I'm a little crazy and she gets more exercise than any dog they know... but as you all know most dog owners are not like doodle owners!

Views: 753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have one couch potato doodle (always has been) whose exercise needs are something I don't worry about at all and one that would probably love to live with you instead =)  If it works for you then what you're doing is fine.  IF you want to cut back, you can try cutting out a little and see if it still works.

If the exercise you are giving her suits your life style, by all means keep it up. I really think the more the better. I give my dogs a couple of hours of running, fetching, romping and then awhile each at a bit of training exercise. Each one of the doodles needs different things worked on. This past weekend I spent 6 hours with them hiking trails through the woods. They were both dragging butt for about a half an hour when we got home. One quick power nap and I think they were ready for more...lol. I wasn't.  

My ALD needs much less exercise than his brother and F1 Goldendoodle.  Stuart needs several hours of exercise every day - he runs 3 miles every morning with dh, then walks with us and Rooney 2 miles, spends an hour or more every evening chasing his ball, he also swims in the pool when we are in Florida.  If he doesn't get this exercise he will go nuts in the house  :)     I think it sounds like you have a high energy doodle and are doing a great job!

IMHO, I think your amount is just right, I don't think its too much, unless she seems to "fade" at the end of the walks. For us, DH takes BB on a 2 mile walk in the mornings. Typically he also gets two additional 20 minute good romps. He loves fetching and runs FAST. So 20 minutes of frisbee is about right. He also gets a short 30 minute walk in the evenings... He gets a couple days off a week when our schedules don't allow it, and BB is usually OK with that. ;-]

Shelby, an ALD, goes to doggie playcare for 10 hours twice a week.

On non playcare days she gets a 30-40 minute walk in the morning and a 45-1 hour walk in the evening.

Saturday mornings.... dog park 2-3 hours   or 3-4 mile hikes on the trails (more so when it cools off - still in the 90's/100's here in Texas)

Lots of fetch.... Lots and lots of fetch :)    Did I mention Shelby loves to play fetch!

I can relate... but Shelby loves it (she is high energy) and I love that it keeps me active :)  

I have Daisy who is going to be 3 next month who also gets at least 2 hours of hard exercise a day, and I know from experience she would go and go until she drops.

Right now I have her 19 month old sister who gets 0 exercise each day outside of going for 10 minutes in her backyard, however when she is with us she does what Daisy does and is so much better behaved for me.

I don't know whats adequate but I don't think it's too much if they are still willing and showing no signs of exhaustion (like us humans).

Cooper used to need more exercise than she does now at 3. thankfully. because i have gone back to work and dont have as much time to exercise her. she would however, walk run and play for hours if i let her

I feel the same way you do, I constantly worry that my doodles are not getting enough exercise.  Both my doodles are totally different in that department.  My Sasha loves to run so she and I go for long walks/joggs almost every evening which is 2 miles.  She is a expert at frizzbe catching and I play with her every evening when I get home.  They also have their doggie time in the back yard chasing each other around and playing.  Oliver on the other had is not that much into exercise but loves to get his run on in the dog park.  I also take Ollie out each evening for his walk which is a good mile but buy the time we are turning the corner heading home and we are about 2 blocks away he flops on people's lawns and rolls around and just lays there.  I was getting worried that the mile walk was too much for him but when we are in the dog park he is constantly running at a good clip for like 45 minuts straight.  I think walking is boring for him except when he sees a squirrl - LOL.  You do not mention how old your doodle is, my Sasha will be 3 in October and Oliver turned two in June.  So both my doodles are young and healthy.   Some dogs have higher energy levels than others, both my doodles get a little stir crazy if they do not get out in a day or two do to rain/snow etc.  I have a treadmill that I am going to train them on as well so I can put them on that if the weather is bad.

It sounds great to me.  We too have been very committed to exercising Gavin and I do credit our efforts for (at least in part)  creating a calm, happy, well-behaved dog.  Between my dh and I we walk Gavin 5-8 km per day as well as off leash running and fetch.  Gavin is three now and we find he tires much more quickly.  For example about ten minutes of ball chasing he just lies down as if to say "Ok, I'm done."  Keep up the good work - its good for both of you.  And wouldn't you rather spend a couple hours exercising with your dood than going to the gym?

At 2 years old, Luna needs a lot less exercise than she needed at 1.  I would say she is now a "medium" energy dog ;)

If we have the time, she can go for a 1 to 2-hour walk/play at the dog park, then later in the day play fetch for 2x 30 mins with no problem.  Lately though she's been confined to the house (due to her allergies), so we play with her for about 3x30 mins a day... she's sleeping fine and not destroying the house, so it seems that's enough for her.

It seems like Luna is able to go forever, and would like to, but she is content with a little less exercise than she was getting before ragweed season.  It COULD also be the Benadryl though that's making her sleepy and less inclined to go crazy in the house :p

I am so impressed with everyone's comments about the exercise the dogs (and their people) are getting every day.  I have two doodles and their exercise needs are a little different, but then so are my needs and my husband's.  We have worked it out to all of our advantages.  My husband and I are 66 (in fact, it is my birthday today) and I am diabetic, so exercise is a necessary part of our routine.  My husband is a biker and I am a swimmer.  I used to bike all of the time with him and we took many long vacation bike trips, but my balance has been a problem and I am just getting back into biking with the doodles.  On a trail close to our home, we have worked out a plan where I drop him off with his mountain bike at a little country school, drive to the start of the De Anza trail (goes from Monterey to San Benito County) and start hiking with the dogs.  When my husband catches up to us he takes the dogs running along with him to the top of the hill and then turns around and comes back down.  He gets a 17-mile mountain bike ride, the dogs get a 10-mile hike and run, and I get about a 3-mile walk.  Other times we take the dogs on their bike tow leashes and they run along side of us (usually on dirt trails).  When my husband rides his bike at Ft. Ord, we go for a walk on the horse trails or to a nearby dog park.  The dogs love at least an hour of exercise per day and sometimes it is more like 2-3 hours.  It is never enough for them.  Their favorite words to hear are "Let's go", "Walk" and "Beach".

Happy Birthday Lynda!!! : )

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service