DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Yesterday, I was on the phone with my mom. I headed off a conversation that would have turned into a fight (something very typical for us) by mentioning a cute thing Porter had done that day.

It occurred to me after hanging up the phone that the huge improvement in our relationship over the past year probably had less to do with some magical maturity I had attained at the age of 34, and more to do with Porter and the distraction he provides.

So, here is a thread for listing the surprising things your doodle has done for you.

#1 major improvement in my relationship with my mom.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I first got Darwin I wasn't sure how my husband would react. He has never had a dog before, and he wasn't really a dog person. Instead of driving us apart, however, he has made us much more close. We both have a common worry and happiness now... like he's our child. It has also taught us responsibility, and that has been great for us.

So my relationship with my husband, and the responsibility we have both learned.
Murphy our 10 month old, has put back a tender common thread between us that was missing since our kids have grown up. After 37.5 years ,we still have fun, and we spend lots of time together, but doing things with and for Murphy gives us a togetherness that we've not shared in a long time.
He's the husband that said "NO, I DONT WANT A DOG", so I was getting him more for me, as my companion, and as it turned out, he is totally for US.
Harper has officially made me a "dog" person. I always had cats growing up, and although I had always entertained the idea of getting a dog someday, I thought that I would be perfectly content just having Milo around. Now, I'm totally that weird lady who approaches any and every dog/owner, am constantly online researching food and new products, and am now searching for a local dog shelter to volunteer at. I can't imagine my life without this crazy ball of fluff!
No more piles of shoes, flip flops, sneakers by the door. Now everyone puts their "stuff" away because they're afraid if they don't they may never find them again. One less thing I have to nag about....thank you Guinness!
She make us get up and walk her! We now go long walks in the woods and we havw loved it!
I have told this story before, but it really belongs in this discussion.
I had only been living in this house for a few months when I adopted Jack, and as a single "older" woman in a neighborhood of empty-nester couples and young families, I felt a little out of place. I didn't know anyone, and no one went out of their way to introduce themselves or make friends. After Jack came, I had to be out walking the neighborhood streets at least twice a day. There are a lot of dogs here, and Jack made some friends. Eventually, when we walked past the homes of some of his friends and they (dogs & owners)were out in their yards, Jack would run over to the fence and be invited in to play. I was included by default, lol. This is how I got to know some of my neighbors.
Not long after, my mom was diagnosed with AML, and I sometimes had to be at the hospital for long hours. The parents of Jack's two lab girlfriends (he's such a player!) offered to come by the house, feed Jack, and take him back to their homes until I got back in the evenings. You can imagine what a Godsend that was! When my mom died several months later, my aunts and uncles were all in their 80s and 90s. Although we only had graveside services, these elderly, physically challenged people would be driving quite a distance out to the cemetery, and I didn't feel they should have to stand in the heat of August at the cemetery for 20 minutes and then turn around and make another hour long drive back home. I wanted to invite them back to my house after the service (I live very near the cemetery), but I had a big new dog at home who was afraid of strange men and reacted by jumping, lunging, & barking.
Jack's friends' parents solved everything. They came to get him that morning, kept him until the last of the relatives had gone home, then brought him back, and for good measure, helped clean up the house for me. Some of them took part of the day off from work to do this.
I now have some very valued friends in my not-so-new neighborhood...and all because of a goofy, "designer reject" dog named Jack.
Awe- that is such a GREAT story. Give Jack a treat for me, will ya. These doods really do attract nice people.
Your story is very touching and beautiful. I am so glad you have found some wonderful new friends in your neighborhood. I have met many sweet unbelievable people by having our doodles. They bring such joy to our lives and everyone one's lives they come in contact with. Thank you for telling us about Jack.
I too have met and become friendly with some neighbors because of the dogs. If I walk them at outdoor malls we can't get too far without being stopped to have people ask questions about them, admire them, etc.
I had had a dog that we needed to rehome when my first child was a baby. Needless to say, I was totally devastated. I swore we would never have a dog again --I know, very mature on my part!--and held true to that for almost thirteen years until we had to move to MN last year. My children were--are--having such trouble with it--me most of all, truth be known--that I relented and got Phoebe to make them feel better. That was it, I am now the crazy dog lady who stops to talk to all dog owners and who is known by name in most local pet stores. I am so over the top in love with my little girl that we are considering adding another dog come 2010--well, NOT my husband but I am working on it!
I have an empty nest now that my youngest is off to college--my kids are pretty spread out and I have had at least one child in the house for 27 years--so this has been a big adjustment for me. My lovely husband is here, but likes to do things on his own and is very quiet, so it seems like I live in such a big empty house now.
My doodle girls have helped me cope--they get me out for walks, they give me an excuse to go to the dog park and meet new people and they sit with me when I feel lonely. They have definitely made the transition much easier.
After our son was killed by a drunk driver, our lives stopped.....work was okay...home was okay...you get the thread here. I had never had a dog...so now seemed like a good time...something to fill the void....well, we got Comiskey and then Beemer...after these two major purchases DH lost his job (and still can't find one...economy and the trades)....BUT...what a joy they are... we used to wonder what is the reason for getting up in the morning...then we get those big doodle kisses..and a nudge to take them out...and guess what...we have our reason to get up...because they need us....and we need them.....and together we are a family!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service