DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I wanted to make sure Rua wasn't going to have any issues being around lot's of dogs, so I decided to go to the dog park this afternoon.  It was a beautiful 65 out (not sunny, but finally decent weather).  There were lot's of people.  I kept her on her leash the whole time...no running or frolicking for her...just some appropriate dog greeting. 

There was one border collie there (two of the dogs that attacked her last Saturday were border collies) but he was on a leash.  As long as I felt the dog was acting friendly, I would let the dog approach Rua and vice versa.  We didn't stay for long, but I needed to make sure she knew she was safe as long as she was with me and that I had her back!  LOL  I will probably do it again...I learned a lot from this whole thing.

Rua and I are in AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training right now, and the session last Wednesday was on socialization, and after reading the article that the trainer emailed to us, I decided to go back.  I am going to include the section on socialization and the link to the article here (I posted it in the training group also).  The article is REALLY long, but I thought it was a great read.

Socialization

Please remember that socialization is teaching your dog how to act in social situations-- not necessarily "play" or having to greet every other person or thing in the environment.  As our pups mature, it's important for them to see us as their pack.  Think of it this way-- you come in contact with many people every day while you're out and about, shopping, perhaps at work, etc.  I don't go up and talk to every person I see-- hardly!  And if I had a child out with me, we'd certainly work on when it's appropriate to say "hi" to a person and how to correctly do that, wouldn't we?  For the most part, we go about our lives living peaceably with people around us all the time, ignoring most of them.  It's very natural for young dogs to want to investigate everything and anything, but it's also very important to teach them self-control and give them opportunities to do so when it's safe and appropriate.

http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/42/97/

So, what do you think?   Was it a good idea or not to go back???

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I totally agree that it was a good thing to go back, and I think the way you did it was great because you were able to maintain control the entire time. I did the same thing with Jack, I brought him back, I wanted him to fear nothing, but to learn to maintain himself in every situation.

I am proud of you for bringing him back!!!

Rua rocks!  I took Rooney back to the dog park - after he had some serious injury - the very next day.  I did not want him to associate the place with the attack.  I went when I knew no one would be there.  It was our time to park, walk in, sniff around, chase a ball.  I stayed till one puppy came in - they sniffed and we left.  It was a slow start back to our normal routine.  Dori - ya did girl.
ooops - good girl!
Yes, I think it was a good thing that you went back. You were obviously on the lookout for any unsavory situations and Rua got a chance to bounce back a little bit. I think it's good that she was exposed to dogs again quickly, in a way that she knew she would be safe. I took Darwin to an area that I knew we would meet a few dogs soon after his attack. I wanted to judge his reaction and luckily he didn't have any residual fear that I observed.
Yes!
Just like falling off a horse... you need to get back on.  You did the right thing the right way.
Dori...I have always been told that when you enter a dog park you always take the leash off.  Dogs that are on a leash feel threatened and feel they can not fend for themselves if approached by strange dogs.  I have been observing dogs on and off leash ever since I heard this and I can see the difference.  That is not saying that all dogs are friendly.  There is ALWAYS one in the dog park that really screws it up for all the others.  Always one nasty aggressive dog and the owner is always some looser who is too busy hanging out and not watching or disciplining his/her dog!  But I do feel that a dog on a leash with all the others off leash are sitting targets.  Another thing is that you should never take treats or toys.  The other dogs will sniff out the treats in no time at all and be all over you and the toys just cause bad behavior because there are dogs who will take the toy or attack for it.  My trainer told me that dog parks are supposed to be neutral grounds where all the dogs are free and equal and the owners are observant and responsible.  None of this have I seen in any dog park I have gone to.  They all bring tennis balls and toys and I think it makes for a lot of growling and attacking and bad behavior!

Nancie, I am with you....I love going to one dog park in particular cause it has a lake and Daisy loves to swim...there are lots of tennis balls there and usually dogs that are in the water are chasing balls, the dogs that don't swim don't give two hoots about the tennis balls there are so many that each dog could have 3. I think it's all about the owners....lazy ones are sitting under a tree on a picnic bench (they should get rid of places to sit, the lazy ones wouldn't come then) and their dogs are running around causing chaos around the park.We go to play with the dog/dogs, it is a DOG PARK not a people park after all....we are supposed to be there for the dogs.

I go really early on Saturdays before the park gets busy, that way Daisy can swim and we can leave when it gets busy. Daisy socializes at daycare and in our backyard with friends.

I agree as well. I heard this from many different trainers and pretty sure it was even on The Dog Whisperer. The dynamics completely change when 1 dog has a leash on... An example being the chaos that goes on when there are lots of dogs near the entrance of the park. As soon as the those dogs come on on a leash the other dogs immediatly stop what they are doing and go for them, once the owners let them off leash the dogs calm down and play.  I think socialization is such a big part of creating a well rounded dog, and great job for taking her back!  We take Bailey all the time, and she loves it.  We even had an incident where a bigger dog came dominantly over to Bailey with her back turned, pounced on her and she fell on her leg awkwardly and got hurt and tried limping and running away.  Instead of taking her home right away I checked her out, making sure she was ok, and then just let her sit by me while other dogs came by because I did not want her to get scared of the bigger dogs. She was jumpy the next time we went but has had no negative effects. Anyways... what I'm trying to say is go for it! Take her and let her off leash and roam around.. if she gets uncomfortable she will run back to you and let you know. In my experience the small dogs hold more power then the bigger ones at the park so I think she would hold her own fine! Good luck!

Thanks, it is a great read.

I think you did the right thing taking Rua back. When Daisy was bitten by another dog in a training class I went right back with her the next class so she understood (well as much as a dog can) that all dogs don't bite/attack.

Dori, I agree with everyone and would have reintroduced my doodle to the park as well. The leash is another issue, but I can see your point, It does give you that element of security and control of the situation, but I have also read about the dog on a leash in a dog park train of thought as well. I am sure you did great by Rua and she knew right where her mommy was the whole time. No other dogs there to interfere or intimidate her because she was on leash. You'll know when she and you are ready for off leash again. That took courage and faith in your ability to help her, good for you!
Well, I may be the only one with a different opinion here.  I totally believe in socialization for dogs, but I would have been reluctant to go back to this dog park after the last bad experience.  I've also been told that you should not have your dog on leash while all the other dogs are not, and I would have been very nervous about putting Rua back into the same situation with an "uncontrolled pack" off leash.  I'm probably a really "nervous Nelly" but I only allow my guys to run freely with dogs I know.  For that matter, I only allow them to meet other dogs on leash if I know them or if the owner tells me in advance of their meeting that there have never been any dominance or aggression issues (although I can usually tell now just by the other dog's body language and demeanor).  I'm certainly not making any judgments or saying that I'm right....it's just me, the "overprotective Doodle Mom".

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service