DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

What do you consider the most "difficult" time period in doodle puppyhood/adolescence?

I apologize in advance if I am asking too many questions lately, maybe I'm bored or just want to get everyone's creative juices following for when Adina starts putting together her book. Honestly, I'm really curious about this one too:

As a doodle owner or rescue advocate, what do you consider the most trying or difficult times you've experience with your doodle regarding puppyhood and adolescence?
For me, I think the 8-11 months are the hardest. For all 3 of my boys, at that age they started acting like they had forgotten every command they ever learned and because a little defiant. Trying to counter surf because they hit a tall growth spurt, selective hearing and and excessive non stop romping. They also had a that point lost most of their puppiness look and their energy levels skyrocketed. I'm not surprised that we rescued Jake at 8 months. He had all of these qualities, in spades. And very bouncy, extra bouncy then-probably because he has so much poodle in him. We considered renaming him Tigger at that time!

I think I am reminded of it because pickles is around 8 months and this behavior is starting to show. It's something I deal with and know its a passing faze but gheesh! Tiring! I love my dogs but I really dislike this part of the growing and training process. There I said it: I don't like late puppyhood/onset adolescence! I know some people have difficulty with the beginning months where pup whimpers, you are potty training etc. but for me, 8-11 months is the difficult part. "I don't know how to sit!", "You mean that chicken breast on the counter wasn't for me?", "wanna see how many times I can run around the house at a breakneck speed?", "I bet you think I can't get my brothers to revert to their puppyhood state. Watch this!!". Thanks, Pickles. You are such a cute, lovely adorable pup of 55 LBS at 8 months old !!!
It makes me curious what ages DRC sees most of their rescues. I'll bet some of it correlates to growing/development behavior.

Views: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am such a forgetful doodle mom-unless I write things down, I don't recall dates.  But the worst time for us was during the first year, probably the earlier part, when he would jump and nip my DH in the arm.  He had awful little nip marks all the time!  Quincy rarely did it to me -  but my DH was his personal chew toy.  He spent more time turning his back and ignoring Quincy than you can imagine and yes, eventually that worked.  

Puppy Stew (8 weeks to 6 months) was MUCH easier than teenager Stew (he's currently 8 months). He's a complete RASCAL and doesn't listen much. Housebreaking, nipping etc were a snap compared to how he is now.

Potty training weeks were my worst. I felt frustrated having to watch every second and the minute I looked away, they'd pee!!! Argh!!!!

9-10 weeks were the worst. I loved him, he was snuggly, cuddly, cute, and did new things every day... but.... he had to be watched every minute of every day, whined and cried for the first few minutes of crate time, and I could only leave him alone for an hour or so once a day. I felt exhausted. My only saving grace was that he slept through the night from day one.

I could deal with the defiant attitude at 8-18 months, forgetting commands, and boundless energy.

I totally agree with you, that is the "defiant teenage puppy" phase!!

Interesting question.  Finn was a happy go lucky pup but he was a tough one to house break.  He drank a lot of water, so he quickly learned to go outside on command but 20 minutes later he'd have to go out again.  He never chewed my stuff unless you count the glasses the cat pushed off the counter. Not sure if the cat was trying to hit the pup or just get him in trouble.  Lucky he didn't swallow any of the pieces.But I had to watch him like a hawk with his toys.  Puppyhood was exhausting and Finn was basically a good pup :) But at about 11 months FInn seemed to forget most of his training and between 11 and about 16 months his energy shot up and he seemed to forget most of what he learned.  Lucky I knew this was a phase and all the training would pay off when he grew out of being a teenager.

I get my pup in July and you are all making me very nervous. lol

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service