DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Jack is a small little guy, and from what I understand little ones are more prone to tooth decay because they are not huge chewers. I brush Jack's teeth three times a week. He loves the peanut butter flavor toothpaste. I am not a fan of getting the tooth paste all over his face hair but hey.

I still notice a little gingivitis on his teeth, and sometimes his gums bleed when I brush. The vet said it is only a little tarter, I don't want any. He is not even two yet.

I won't let him have the greenie's or anything else like that. What do you all do for your dogs teeth to keep them healthy. If you ever need the vet to clean your dogs teeth they have to put them to sleep to do it.

I want to stay on top of it and am not sure what else I could do.

Thanks so much

Than

Views: 192

Replies to This Discussion

thank you for starting this post. i have guilt over not brushing Rosies teeth more often. i was at the vet once and was talking t the guy ahead of me in line. he told me that he was out of the country for a year and had a friend watch his dog. i guess he always gave his dog carrots but his friend didn't so upon his return he older dog had to have teeth pulled out. oiiii that was an eye opener for me and i should go brush Rosies teeth right now.

the vet said to brush once a week or to bring her in for complimentary teeth cleaning. this reminds me to be better. i see a little yellow on a couple of teeth.

Don't feel guilty.... We are all learning.... I know they have dental chews that the vet sells that is supposed to clean their teeth, but since my vet sells Science Diet, I wouldn't buy any food from there. I just read that one of the mouth cleaners that you can add to the dogs water to clean teeth has now been found to have that artificial sweetener in it that causes dogs to have seizures.. WtD are we supposed to do???

I give R&B Marrow bones and their teeth are really white... I posted a similar discussion a while back I think in the Health and Medical group...

Can you give Jack bones to chew on?

Here you go Jen, hopefully it helps

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/healthandmedicalissues/forum/topi...

Hopefull

Thank you Suzann, I see a lot of us have the same questions, I was told that greenies are not fully digestable and that they can cause obstructions, so I will not let Jack have them. He does eat bone marrow bones prettty good. I still see tartar so I am going to keep brushing for now.

I am sorry I am not better at using this website to search and am raising questions that other people have already responded too. I am going to take time to learn to use this website properly, Thank you for all your input

No need to apologize!!!  You are totally using the site properly, we are all here for you and Jack!!  Sorry if my answer was short its getting late:)  Yes Greenies are horrible in my opinion, gave both R&B horrible diarrhea!!  The brushing can't hurt!
Lucy was just in to the vet's office this week for her annual exam. He said her teeth looked excellent, and I only brush her teeth once every week or so. I told him Lucy's getting some canned food mixed in with her kibble at mealtimes and he said to brush her teeth every day if that's the case. Then why are her teeth so white and tartar free? Well, she's a big chewer and we give bully sticks and Sam's Yams dried sweet potato chews (for big dogs). I'm convinced that's what has kept her teeth looking so good. Still, I've started brushing her teeth daily. I don't want to see her have a problem in the future. Oh, btw, Sam's Yams also come in a smaller size for small dogs.

First of all, there are people out there that clean dog's teeth without anesethetic.

Second, I just want to say I have 5 year old dogs with beautiful white teeth. No tarter at all. These dogs did not get distemper vaccinations until after 16 weeks. This is not a popular theme with vets, but my homeopathic vet says it makes a difference and I can track that by my dogs. 

Third, I feed a raw food diet. My puppies eat chicken backs from 7 weeks old as seen below. Eating the meaty bones keeps their teeth and mouth healthy. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi Jen...

Sasha doesn't have any tarter and her teeth are white and healthy.

I brush them once a week.

She is a hearty chewer...and I give her organic marrow bones and antlers...the ones that are split where she can get to the marrow easily.

I read a post recently that some dogs have chipped their teeth on the deer and elk antlers and that the moose antlers are softer.

You might want to check that out.

If you want to find something...just type it in the "Search Box"...at least that's what I do.

I just found something really good at the Wet Nose Oasis that you might like...that I think is the same thing that Debb talked about.

I got Sasha the dried sweet potato chews...and she loves them!

I think that being a hearty chewer and their diet does make a differance in the condition of their teeth.

Give Jack Hugs from Sasha and Me...

Monty is just 19 months old and his teeth are beautiful.  He doesn't get any wet food, but he does get vegetables. Raw carrots, apples, sweet potato.  Split antlers, crunchy junk treats too. I bought a toothbrush but havent used it yet.

I have two dentist tools that I got at a local discount store. I actually use them to scrape the dark stains off the teeth. I also run it along the gums to get the tartar just at or under the gum. It is hard to do when they wiggle. Last time I had to get my husband to hold him still while I did it. He does bleed a bit if I slip but we've never had an injury. He loves the toothpaste too but chews the brush apart when we brush. 

Our vet always complemented me on my older dogs teeth they had no problems right up until the end.

My doodles are now 3 years old.  They have always had beautiful big white teeth until this year when I noticed some tartar build up on Java Joe's teeth.  He is not a heavy chewer.  Capp, my other doodle,  is a very heavy chewer, and his teeth are great!   Also, my dogs eat some form of raw for most of their meals and Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw for the rest of the meal.  I think that has helped as well.

I have always brushed every few weeks, but since I have noticed the tartar I am brushing almost daily.  They behave beautifully since I have brushed since they were young pups. The vet did give me some type of ointment that is for mouth infections, and I have mixed it with the doggy tooth paste.  I noticed it helped with the tartar.

Their teeth are almost perfect again since I began the daily regimen.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service