DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all!As you know, I groom a lot of doodles of all shapes and sizes (I have a very small doodle grooming business in my home)--I have And is two speed clippers and with some doodles that have a softer or curlier coat, they just are not powerful enough--I am now planning to spend 200-300 dollars on better clippers and was wondering if anyone had any advice about what to get. I would like to stick with And is, since I have several blades for it.

This is the And is 5 speed--was hoping someone has had experience with this one.

https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/productDetail.jsf?area... 

Views: 308

Replies to This Discussion

I'm surprised that your 2 speed is not enough. Perhaps your clippers need servicing or you blades need sharpening. Is that a possibility? My 2 speed seems to do all coats.

I've been struggling with my Andis 2-speed as well - much to my surprise, as I was using Andis professionally 15 years ago and they were wonderful. I find myself wondering if their build quality has just tanked in the last few years, as they're getting lots of complaints on grooming forums too. One thing I've noticed is that the housing gets really hot really fast, and that wasn't true in the "good old days". Mine is less than two years old and the housing has started to break apart too - and I'm only doing two dogs (and that sporadically). Tempted to switch to the bog-standard Oster Golden A5, which uses the same blades and is fully owner-serviceable.

Barb, by any chance is yours an older one?

Mine is about 4 years old.

Hi,  I have one of the Andis 5 speeds.  It is very comfortable to work with and the housing stays cool.  However, the 5 speed does not seem like it has that much more power than the high speed of the 2 speed clippers.  The highest speed also seems to heat up the blades really fast. The lower speeds are much slower and do not heat up as much.   I really like the clipper and it is lighter than the 2 speed models of both the Andis and Oster and it fits nicely in your hand. The lower speeds work really well with dogs that do not like the vibration. Perhaps it is your blade drive.  If you have not changed it, it is probably due if you have clipped a lot of dogs with it.  Salon groomers need to change the blade drive in 1 - 3 months.  You will notice drag in the coat and if you clip close. you will see lines from the blades.  The 5 speed is very easy to change -  the 2 speed takes a couple of more steps but you should be able to easily do it yourself. Blade drives are about $5. If  you are intending to change regardless,  I personally, would purchase another 5 speed if I needed to replace clippers. The weight and feel in the hand alone are worth it.  Good luck.

Thanks Teresa--I will definitely try that as I have not changed it--that might really help. My 2 speed is about 3 years old Jen, so that could be the issue. I am getting four new blades soon Barb and we will see if that helps too! Thanks everyone!!

I have to send my blades in the mail to get them sharpened, but it's worth it.

That is the one (Andis 5 speed) I use. I absolutely love it. The best thing about it is that for new dogs you can turn it onto low speed, which is very quiet and then progress up as needed. They tolerate the low speed more easily than the high pitched whine of the highest speed. I actually use speeds 1-2-3 all the time (gets warm to the touch, but never gets hot). If the coat is super long, then I can turn it up for more power.

Thanks Janice---i might get one.

Ginny - did you end up getting the Andis 5 speed?  I'm looking at buying a clipper for Myla and because of everything stated here I am looking at Andis but I'm getting confused on which one to buy!

I have not done anything yet, but interested in the one Wanda mentions below...because with some doodles, power is what I need.

Ginny, just checking in to see what ones you ended up getting? I am looking at the Andis 5 speed to groom Cally with in the future.  I decided after her summer cut that she just got and how the groomer did not listen to me that I will start grooming myself! 

I have not purchased them yet, but I am going with the Aesculaep--but I do a lot of dogs--you would probably be fine with the Andis.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service