DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

This morning, out of the blue, Charlie, who is 16 weeks old, began vomiting. He vomited for about 4 hours without other symptoms. We took him to an emergency vet clinic, they didn't see any obstruction on the x-ray and have diagnosed as most likely gastroenteritis. After some IV fluids, a dose of anti-nausea meds, and a couple of scripts for at-home, they are sending us home. 

Until today, Charlie hasn't had any soft stools or any issues with food since we got him 8 weeks ago. However, 1 week ago, I began transitioning Charlie from the duck and potato version of Natural Balance dog food that he was on with the breeder to Fromm Puppy Prairie Gold. Over the last week, he hasn't even had a soft stool, to indicate to me that he was having an issue with the transition. In addition, I give Charlie a couple tablespoons of plain, Greek yogurt each morning.(he LOVES it) This morning was no different, but the vomiting began about an hour later. 

I would welcome input for anyone who has perhaps walked this path before. My plan is to withhold food from Charlie tonight and then slowly introduce boiled chicken and rice tomorrow. The vet indicated we should expect loose stools next. Could this really all have been caused by me starting to transition him to new kibble? The vet asked if he got into anything in the yard, but he is always supervised when he goes outside to potty. I am at a loss! What could have caused this so quickly? (he had his 16 week shots 4 days ago, he attended puppy training class 3 days ago but didn't really interact with the 3 other pups at all, he snatched half of a hamburger bun off my daughter's plate last night at dinner)

Thanks, in advance, for the advice! 

Views: 225

Replies to This Discussion

I would post this in the food group. I see lots of discussions similar to this in that group and I think you might get some good feedback there. I think lots of little ones have troubles transitioning food either because of their sensitive tummies or human error. I know my older doodle got horribly sick from having all of his shots at the same appt when he was a pup. It was either is 12 or 16 week shots I can't remember but I have to spread his shots out. Good luck!
Good point about the shots being a possible culprit. My doodles never had any reactions to any of their vaccines, but I was/am warned of the possibility each time they get one.
Moose didn't have any issues with his shots although at 12 weeks he got his DHLPP and bordetella and then at 16 weeks rabies and DHLPP where as Loki I believe got DHLPP, rabies and bordetella all at the same appointment at 16weeks. I think... Within two days I think he was horribly sick but by the end of the week he had bounced back to his normal self, the vet helped with that I'm sure. That was last summer so this year I tried to have Moose only get two vaccines at the most and then Loki received his all spread out through this summer to be on the safe side.
Yes, please post in food group and/or health and medical issues group. I'd want Karen to see it! Hope you get some good advice and that pup gets better soon! And how did he snatch that bun when he is so little!?! Crafty!
Yes I think Karen's thoughts would be helpful as far as the food questions go.
Personally, I would say it's highly unlikely the food caused the vomiting, especially in the absence of any other symptoms, like loose stools, etc. Puppies have sensitive stomachs and it can be a mystery what set it off. Maybe the hamburger bun, who knows... I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like you're doing all the right things.

I re-posted this discussion on the Food Group. Thanks for the wisdom and encouragement. I don't know what I would do without each of you! ((hugs)) 

Charlie initially acted very lethargic, once he was home from the clinic. He seems to have bounced back tonight and is acting a bit more like himself. I hope this illness is short-lived and not soon repeated! 

Hopefully he's on the mend!
My Nellie was diagnosed with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis when she was 8 months old and vomited repeatedly and then vomited blood. She spent two days in the emergency vet, but they were never able to determine the cause for it, so sometimes you just don't know. It never happened again though.

I don't think it was from your food transition either. Feel better little guy!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service