DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Doc is almost 7 weeks. We were told to feed/water him at 6am and 6pm and no water after 7pm. When crated for the night cover crate with a blanket. Take him out ever 30-40 minutes during the day and crate no more than 4 hours at a time without potty break except at night. These were the breeders instructions. And we are following them. Although, I am taking him out more like every 20-30 mins.

Doc has already learned to "ask" for water by standing at the kitchen sink and looking up at it. I am wondering if we should be leaving his water bowl out all day or only at 6/6 feedings? He pees constantly. But at such a young age I feel he is already catching on to going outside pretty well. I have a 9 month old baby and feel like a jack-n-the-box carrying the baby on one hip and Doc in the other arm in and out all day. I understand this is a necessary evil for now =) But wondering if he needs water more frequently or if with holding it at times is ok during housebreaking?

His bedtime wire icrate is upstairs in my 14 year old daughter's room who oversee's him when she is home. She puts him in for the night around 9:30-10 covers it.. he cries starting at about 12:30 she takes him out to potty around 1-1:30 then crates for the rest of the night til 6am. He cries from 1:30- 3 or 4am! We have baby blankets and a stuffed bear that smells like his mom/siblings and a shirt of my daughters in there with him. Is it normal for him to cry so long? Should we take him out more than once per night? The breeder said he would be ok without ANY potty breaks overnight.. but he just seems to young to me to do that? So far he has not peed or pooped in the crate.

He has a "daytime" soft crate downstairs in our living room that he naps in and takes breaks in when I can't supervise him and the baby closely. I also have babygated the kitchen for safe playtimes. He is only upstairs at night at bedtime. Wondering if that could be why he is crying so much? It would be difficult for him to sleep downstairs though.. with me getting up twice per night already to nurse my daughter I am sure he would disturbed by that and my daughter would stay awake even longer. 

Ok, sorry, now that I have written a book.. I can only hope someone will take the time to read it =) If you have, thank you! Any tips or advice is welcome on the above issues or anyhting else you can offer me! 

Blessings, Stephanie "Roo" B.

Views: 975

Replies to This Discussion

Oh goodness! Leave the water out all day (you might even need to refill it), and take it away a few hours before bedtime.

My little guy (15 weeks) is still fed three times a day, start with about 75% of the recommended amount on the package and work up.

9:30 or 10 is pretty early for bedtime, mine is usually ready for a nap at that time, but he's still pretty active.

Don't worry, it gets better, he'll get more reliable in the house soon!

I have never heard of a schedule like this for such a young puppy. I think he should have a full water bowl available throughout the day but it's OK to remove it in the evening. Also, like Julie said, I think the normal feeding schedule for puppies up to 6 months is 3 times a day. It won't be long before he has adjusted and the crying should stop soon. Most breeders don't release the puppies until they are 8 weeks so he is still a baby. And yes, it does get a LOT easier in just a few weeks. Good luck!

At 7 weeks, he'll be getting up more than once a night.  Our new puppy started sleeping through the night at about 8 1/2 to 9 weeks.   We now put him in the crate about 10:30 or 11 & he sleeps until about 7:45.   A couple of things that worked for us...when he starts crying in the crate, sit close to it & say 'sssssh' or talk quietly.  Oskar just needed to know there was someone there.  Also, Target sells a sound machine in the baby department for $10 that has a heartbeat setting.  We put the blanket over the crate, turned that on, 'sssssh'd' a few times & he would be asleep.

He should be eating at least 3 times a day...maybe 4, with water out at all times except just before bed.

Maybe you could try using his daytime crate upstairs...he might feel more at home in that one.  Good luck, it will get better.  Oskar is 10 weeks today & we've established a good routine...you will too :)

I have an 11 week old goldendoodle and feed her three times a day, 1 cup in the morning 1 cup around lunch and 1/2 a cup around 4pm and leave the water out all day until 7pm. We started crating her at night in our room when we first got her and it wasn't doing any of us any good. She knew she was close enough to us and-ANY attention from us is what she wanted so she continued to cry.  We decided to crate her in the kitchen and she is 100% better....no issues whatsoever. We do hear her at around 3am usually and we'll take her out once and shes good to go until we wake up around 7am. 

Oh my is right ~ he is probably asking for water because he is dehydrated. Just like every species on earth, they rely on water for their existence - they need a constant suppy of water for their organs and systems to function>  It also transports vitamins around the body to cool the body when it is hot.  That being said, if you are just taking up the water after 7 or 8, depending on your bedtime,it might help with not having to get up at night.  If I remember right I fed Charlie 3 times a day until he was 6 mos old.  

My dear, you have a lot on your plate right now.  In essence, you really have two babies at this time and both take lots of time and nurturing.  They both need to drink and pee, drink and pee and that is just life.  LOL!!

Hang in there, it will get better!       

he might also be warm at night. ive noticed most doodle would rather lay on a hard cool surface over a fluffy soft one.

Everyone has already addressed the water and eating schedules, which I agree with 100%. As to the crate training, what worked well for Lucy was not only crating her at night, but about 3x during the day as well. While I'd be working around the house, she'd be crated for an hour or so, then immediately once she came out, she'd go for a potty break. Then we'd train for 5-10min, and then she'd play and hang out. We had this schedule for weeks. Lucy not only became proficient at basic commands and heeling at a young age, but learned to LOVE her crate. One thing that helped us with potty training was putting potty bells on the back door. When we'd go out (which was about every 30 minutes those first few weeks) we'd jingle the bells and say, "Ring the bells, go potty". It took Lucy about 3 days to figure out what that meant. To this day she still uses the bells (the brand is 'Poochie Bells' but there are others too) to let us know when she needs to go out. However, now she uses the bells not only to signal she needs to go potty, but also to signal she wants to go out to play. We tell Lucy, those are 'potty' bells, not 'party' bells....lol.

Lucy will be 3 in November, and I've got to say she is like 95% easier to take care of now than she was in those first weeks home with us. Everyone says it will get better/easier, but I had no idea just how much easier it gets as the months/years go by.

Good luck, it sure sounds like you've got a lot on your plate with not only a puppy but a baby as well. I couldn't have done both at the same time. It was exhausting with just a puppy in the house. My hat's off to you!

He pees constantly-Of course he does  :)   His bladder is the size of a bean right now.  Take the puppy out every 15 minutes. 

Any accidents in the house, use the wipe up cloths and throw them in the yard to create a scent.  Your yard will look like the laundry room for a few weeks.  That's okay

Crying at night.  Of course he does. He is lonely and very afraid. How would you like to leave all of your sisters and brothers arrive in China ( an entire new world) and be in the dark.  He will be much quieter if he can see you.  Just like your baby needs a bassinet, so does this BABY puppy.   He needs to see you, smell you, and feel secure.

Water?  Well, this one is totally off the friggin wall!  Sorry, but it is not right in any circumstance to withhold water at anytime. EVER!  Put that water dish down now, keep it full, and keep it on the floor.  Take the puppy outside every 15 mins!  PLEASE!

Not sure the thought behind keeping water from the little one. My concern would be dehydration.  Never heard of that type of schedule.  

We have always left water out all day taking it away when Hurley was a little puppy only the last hour before bedtime.  Hurley has always drank a lot of water continuously all day long.  He slept through the night from the first night but he was 3 months old when we got him.   For several weeks when we brought Hurley home we had his crate close to the bed on a stole so he could see us.  Gradually we moved it away from the bed, keeping it on the stole and making sure he could still see us.  Then we went to the crate on the floor where he could still see us.   He never whined at night from the start. I don't  know if making sure we were always in sight made a difference or not but it might be something to try.

Good luck!   It does continue to get better and he will become more reliable over time.  

I am shocked at this regime for your puppy and cannot imagine any reputable breeder giving this schedule for such a young puppy.  First of all the reason he is asking for water is that he is dehydrated and unless you leave water for him throughout the day he will get ill.  Secondly he is far too young to be on two meals a day.  He needs at least three if not four small meals.  There is no problem with lifting water one hour after his final meal and I fully understand how exhausting this is especially as you have a young baby.  If you take him out every half hour during the day and also take him out very early at 5am or 6 and then back to his crate you will find that in a couple of weeks he will be able to go longer in the morning and will get the idea that outside is for potty.  If he has an accident indoors and if you catch him then simply say ah ah in a strong voice and immediately lift him to finish outside. Loads of praise when he goes outdoors.  There is no other solution to potty training and I am sorry if you were mislead prior to taking home your very young puppy. 

You would not feed a seven week baby on the schedule you outline here and your puppy is a very young baby too.

I haven't read any replies that you have received so far.  I would really like to give you some advise, but sometimes the wording I choose can be miss understood.  If you would like some friendly advise, please send me a friend request.  We can email back and forth.  I have volunteered for different rescues and have gained a little experience over the years.

As has been mentioned, this is a very young pup to be taken from his pack at 6 weeks. There are many skills they learn those last 2-4 weeks with mom and siblings. Bite inhibition being a very important one. You will certainly have to do some stern nipping training especially With a 9 month old at home.
As for feeding and water.... Please, please, please feed this little guy 3 times a day with fresh water all day. Any website, dog care book will tell you this. Has he been to a vet yet, what do they say? I can't imagine why your breeder told you to do this at such a young age, certainly she meant to say that eventually he will feed only twice a day when he is much older. But please ask your vet and follow their advice. You didn't mention what or how much you are feeding at each feeding. Three smaller meals are much better for his little tummy at this age.
Picking up water at 6pm after he's eaten and hydrated one last time is fine, but eventually you will leave fresh water out day and night.
As for crying at night, putting your hand near the crate just letting him know you are there is helpful. I used a clock that ticked covered with a towel near my pups crates and that worked for both of mine.
I am so glad you came to DK for advice, there are many caring and very knowledgeable doodle owners here.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service