DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

so my pup just ate a sock...a dress sock...whole...

what should i do? ugh...  I'm a mix of being frustrated but am very concerned about Salvador...

thanks...

Views: 179

Replies to This Discussion

I had something similar happen last night. Figaro got ahold of a mouse- like cat toy at a friend's house. As I went to remove it, he swallowed it whole. Given that he is less than 12 lbs and only 3 months old, I took him to the vet. They have him a shot, which quickly made him nauseated and he threw it up a few minutes later. I was incredibly relieved. It might have just passed through his system or it could have become impacted in his system. For peace of mind, I'm glad I went to the vet.

You might want to call the vet and explain the situation. From what I gathered last night, this is a common occurrence/injury with dogs, especially puppies.

We suspected Lucy of swallowing a sock whole a couple years ago. I called the ER vet hospital and they told us to bring her in. They induced vomiting but no sock materialized. Lots more inducing of vomiting throughout the night and still no sock. The sock was later found in the trash, having been thrown out with a handful of baby wipes. It was a $700 non emergency.

I would say if you KNOW your dog ate a sock, call the closest vet that's open and get in so they can start the process of getting it up and out! If you wait, it could get into the small intestine, and it may or may not pass. You'd be looking at a $2500+ bill to have it surgically removed.

LIbby is known for swallowing the "wrong" things and our vet said to give her 2 teaspoons of Hydrogen Peroxide and it induces vomiting in about a minute and they were RIGHT!  We have had to do it four times when she swallowed bad (food) things.  I have never used it on a sock because we have always lucked out and got the sock before she swallow it!  She loves handkerchiefs and has swallowed six (now) without us knowing it and she always throws them back up!  Oh the joys of a Doodle:)

just an update, after calling the emergency vet service and having to call then back about 1&1/2 hours later, i did the  hydrogen peroxide thing.  he the it up within minutes and is as spunky and trouble makin' as ever. thanks everyone! 

Ugh - so glad he's fine and also glad to know what to do when Griffin manages to swallow something big before I can get it out of his mouth!

Oops my post was obviously too late. I would still watch him for any ileus issues. i.e. not [pooping, belly distention, lethargy.

Sarah, so glad Salvador is ok now!  We keep the HP on a special shelf so we can get to it fast:)  LOL

I try to keep a couple large bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide on hand not only for inducing vomiting, but also as a main ingredient for a great soap mix that removes fresh skunk spray from doodle hair when used right away. I'm glad Salvador is ok.!

My 7 yr old Barney swallowed my underwear whole without my knowing it when he was. He gagged and threw it up two nights later, but then developed an ilius which locked up his intestines. I would take your dog to the vet. 

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end. It's also good to know about the hydrogen peroxide treatment for future reference, although a quick google search on it, found that it shouldn't be used in all cases, like ingestion of certain toxic substances. So, before you reach for the hydrogen peroxide call your vet first, or at least do a google search on when NOT to use it.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service