DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well, the popsicles were a hit!!
I made a few different flavors....DH was grossed out, as I added Peanut butter, yogurt, a small amount of chicken stock and water to a ziplock bag and then began to squish it into a paste. So of the paste I added pumpking to, some of it I added small pieces of FROMM kibble to (I stopped into our local puppy boutique over the weekend and they carried FROMM!! They gave me a few sample bags, so that's where I got the idea to add them to the icee treats).
I cut the corner off of the ziplock bags and squeezed the "paste" into the icecube trays (star shaped trays at that, lol, it's all I could find). Once frozen, I popped the treats out and put them in a ziplock bag to store in the freezer.
Both dogs LOVE the treats :-) and I'm happy to know they cool them off a little in this blazing heat!!

On another note, I just ordered 2 half antlers from antler pantry!! It's funny how excited I get when I'm ordering treats/toys for my dogs. I can't wait for them to get here, so Molly will have another option of chew.
We have finally discovered/decided that the Bully sticks were making her sick. She had gotten over her runny stool issues, was having PERFECT poops...and then I gave her one of the Bully sticks back...and BAM...runny poop again! Took the Bully stick away, it cleared up, a week later- gave the stick back- that night runny poop!!! Into the trash those Bully sticks went. Maybe it was the brand or maybe its just Bully sticks in general, but now I'm afraid to even try another...so we'll stick with Antlers.
I've heard rave reviews about buying antlers from Antler pantry, so I'm happy to support them.
I almost purchased some antlers from the boutique, but they were WELL over $20 a piece!! Yikes!! I got the 2 I just ordered for $29 and that included shipping!

I'm happy to finally have a few different treat options for my doodle girl, I hate that she has such a sensitive belly :-( but I'm glad I have options now!!

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

Peri doesn't get bully sticks either anymore because of the runny poos.

Another tip:  get an orbee bone. There are small holes in the end and I plug them with peanut butter (may stuff about 2t on each side). Peri loves this and chews and licks for quite a while. It's a big treat for her.

Hi Allyson...

The Orbee Bones look like a good idea.

Where do you find them?

Is Peri a "hearty" chewer?

I just wondered if they would hold up well??

Susan I have two of these,  I think it would hold up to moderate chewing, It is like a Kong but the holes are on the end, where the holes are is where she would be chewing and since it has a hold carved out for the treat to go, it is less strong then other areas..

Great idea  to use the ice cube tray. I do that for pumpkin to add into their food. I also fill the kongs with the pb, yogurt, pumpkin and kibble and freeze them too.I also add a hard treat on top of the kong. Kind of like a "cherry on top"!!

Linda (AntlerPantry) also has a page on etsy.com where she sells the Elk antler Rosette. We just received 4 of them today from her. $10 each as opposed to $20 in the stores!!! Here's her link: http://www.etsy.com/shop/antlerpantry

My 2 can't have bully sticks either...too messy in the poop zone":)

Glad she likes those popsicles! Darwin gets diarrhea as well when he eats bully sticks, so none of those for him.

29 dollars for an antler??? They are never over 10 dollars at my local pet bakery/food store. In fact, we get them for darwin, large ones, and they are only like 6 dollars... 

Another thing Darwin likes to chew and doesn't get sick from is beef trachea. Just a thought. :-)

We tried the trachea's. Speaking of "soft serve"!!!! The dogs LOVED them, I didn't!!!! Which is too bad because they were very very reasonably priced!!!
I think she said it was $29 for two antlers. The thing about ordering from Linda at Antler Pantry is she sends a refund for shipping costs every time. I wish I could get large antlers locally but so far I can't find them. Linda at AP is great! You can even specify the hardness you need if you have aggressive chewers.
umhmmmm...Linda is awesome. I told her a long time ago Peri was a goldendoodle. Next time I bought more she sent me a thank you for telling my doodle friends about her.  She rocks.
Allyson- thanks for the tip on those chew bone treat toy things!! I'm def. going to find one for Molly. We have two kongs that we fill with pb but I like the bones better...the kong will sometimes roll under our couch and drive Molly bonkers, those bones wouldn't roll!

Carla- Thanks for the etsy link!! I'm def. going to buy more from Linda, she shipped my antlers yesterday! (same day I ordered them!!).

I think $29 for 2 Large (and they look really big) split antelrs was a deal! You can get cheaper ones, but they are usually really small and not split.
Thanks for all of the comments, I'm SO GLAD to know that it wasn't just Molly having troubles with the Bully sticks. I just felt like everybody kept raving about bully sticks, so I thought they were the "it" for chew treats...guess not so much :-)

Hey, I just found this blog post and thought you might be interested. It has some very interesting fillings for the Kong! I think you could freeze any of them...

http://www.prestonthepuggle.com/?p=1782

Hi Lindsey...

Sasha really like the Big Boyz Dried Sweet Potatoe Chewz.

They're organic...healthy...and are a great (dental)  treat!

Of course she loves the split antlers too.

No...to the bully sticks for Sasha...(they turn her urine a dark amber color and give it an unpleasant odor! (yuck!)

Another treat that she likes and is super easy...and Great on a hot summer day...is what I call a "Big Ice Pop"!

I just fill a tupperware container with water and put it in the freezer.

When we go outside...I just pop the "Big Ice Pop" out of the tupperware...and put it in a unbreakable bowl.

We  take it outside for Sasha to enjoy!

The "Big Ice Pop" lasts for quite a long time...and she really loves it!

You can put pieces of fruit in it for a "special treat"...

Antlers from Antler Pantry have been great for Trav!  And they returned part of my shipping charge, in cash, as the shipping distance wasn't all that far.  Never had that happen before!  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service