DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I took my pup to a groomer for a bath and they shaved the top of his nose up thru between his eyes.

You can now see black pigment from the poodle skin underneath.

I had him in training using a "Gentle Leader" that had a nose piece and now I cannot

use it. He is throwing tantrums and I must assume its from the loss of hair

protection. Or its sensitive due to the shearing.

I understand the hair around their eyes needs cut so their hair won't poke them

in the eye-but have you ever had them shave the top of thier nose with clippers

and take all the hair off? Is this standard procedure or just laziness on the groomers

side?

Views: 262

Replies to This Discussion

I believe that they do this with poodles.  The groomer must have been confused about how to groom a doodle and went with a poodle cut on his nose.

Yes, that is a typical cut with poodles.  I had a toy poodle -who passed away almost exactly 2 yrs ago :( and we've had our new doodle for almost a year and my daughter STILL begs for a poodle haircut.  Um...Noooo! 

I agree with BruceGirl.  Lots of groomers do not know how to groom a doodle.  The first time I took Samson to the groomer, I brought a picture of how I wanted him to look.  And I said "not like a poodle".  Now, I have a girl who does Samson all the time, just her, so she is familiar with what I like and how I want it.
Yeah, this is a pretty common thing for groomers to do. Unless you specifically ask the groomer not to shave the bridge off the nose, they most likely will. Like BruceGirl said, it is something they do often with poodles. I would just ask them to trim that area with scissors next time... :-) I hope the hair grows out quickly and he feels better.
I had the same thing happen to Clover, even after requesting not to shave the bridge of the nose.  Unfortunately I think alot of groomers (in my area) do not take the time to write things down, get busy and forget so they go with what they know.  On the upside at least hair grows back.
Mine have the area immediately in front of their eyes scooped out with the clippers, not a big fan, but at least they can see!
Happened twice to me, once when I'd asked for a bath but NO trimming or clipping at all, because I didn't want the shaved nose again.  Back came a clean dog with a shaved nose.  

This is a common cut for a lot of breeds so is pretty much a standard procedure. Sorry it had to happen to your dog. The reason I started this group in the first place was to help people communicate with their groomers. As it turns out, the groomers turned out to be a stubborn closed minded group, except for a few real gems out there. Now this forum is more for helping do it your selfers.

When I went to grooming school, I took my 6 month old doodle and the teacher shaved her nose to show the class how to do the face. Yikes! Good thing all of us, including the teacher,  learned that it doesn't work with doodles. School was 4 months long, so the class had another chance to do a proper doodle face. The next time the teacher did my dog's face with thinning shears.

Yep, everything I have just read here that the others posted is true.  You got a Poodle snout cut!!!  Big NO NO on Doodles...actually, some people do it to their Doodles but it is personal preference.  I think all of us have had it happen to us.  It only takes once and then we start really lecturing our groomers and taking pictures of exactly what we want and also make sure they understand exactly what we don't want.  Gracie has had a shaved butt, shaved like a Poodle and her poofer removed...all at different groomings and NOT what I wanted.  Luckily they never shaved her nose!!!  I just groomed Gracie today myself and I trimmed up her eyes.  You do not need to shave them in order for them to see.  She still has the little Doodle tuft of hair on the bridge of her nose and she looks adorable!!!  Find a groomer who knows Doodles, take photos of Doodle cuts you like and communicate with her.  Make sure you always get the same groomer and that way you can develop a bond with her and some day you won't have to always give her instructions.  Sorry it happened.  This is one  of many reasons why I now groom Gracie Doodle myself.  Any mistakes or screw ups...they are mine and I am to blame!!  lol
Jack is currently sporting the same shaved nose look!!! UGGG
I had been taking my two to the same groomer for a year, I was always happy with the way he groomed them.  The last time took them there he shaved the top of both of their noses, it is the one thing that would make not go back to a groomer.  I found another groomer or groom them myself.
Yes, I think that is pretty normal.  It is the standard for poodles, so if you do not want it, make sure to tell your groomer.  Good news is that the hair grows back very quickly.  Make sure to think about (or even better get photos) of how you want your doodle to look after a trim.  Faces are the most obvious area, but look for other areas of contention with the cut also.  Groomers do so many dogs that they can lose their focus.  You could also try (after you tell them) to have them repeat back what you want done.  Can you tell I am an old school teacher???

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service